CRD (possible mycoplasmosis) in flock...TEST UPDATE

foxypoproxy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Madison, CT
So, i have been dealing with a few chickens being sick now for about a month or two.
I also had a recent post about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=599015
Fowl
pox post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7621916
At
first it looked like fowl pox, and we ruled out everything else and Ive talked to my vet.
A few have been having breathing problems, diarrhea, lethargy, not eating, shivering, wheezing, clear discharge from nostrils, eye problems, swollen faces, etc...
We had them on tetracycline and as soon as they look better and i take them off it, they show symptoms again.
Its pretty much coming down to Chronic respiratory disease, possibly caused by mycoplasmosis.
We have done alot and spent a tons of money going back and forth to the vet, on medications, etc.
I got are sickest bird tested and we are waiting for the results...hoping to get them next week.
I had been so stubborn up till now. Not wanting to face having to cull my flock, but it hit me last night.

I walk out to lock up the chickens for the night and all of them are inside but my favorite polish roo.
Hes lying on the ground not moving. I called to him but he didn't move.
When i touched him, i realized he was alive and made a little noise.
I brought him in, he wouldn't eat or drink. He couldn't balance/ stand and kept falling over.
He would peck at things and miss and seemed to lack depth perception.
I tryed to give him Gatorade and eggs but he just fell over and lay in his food.
When he breathed he sounded like a squeaky toy and sounded stuffy.
He went diarrhea all over me. I felt so bad, i could tell he was suffering and i was holding him while crying.
It was to late to bring him to the vet to be put down. (i can't cull them any other way....i really really prefer to sit with euthanasia)
I thought i was going to lose him any minute but i was finally able to get some Gatorade in him and he perked up and was able to stand.
Then he started to eat some eggs.

After sitting their trying to revitalize him for 3 or so hours, i realized how selfish i was, wanting to keep them all alive knowing they can never get better.
Yes i can put them on denagard...but they will always be sick, it will only hide their symptoms, and they are contagious to other birds.
We have neighbors who have chickens pretty close by to us and i wouldn't want anyone else to go through what we are going through.
So i have finally decided that it would be best for them and us, to just put them all down and start over in the spring...by then the winter weather should eradicate whatever is left in the soil...
We have one standard hen separate from the others, but i would imagine she has been exposed since she free ranges around their run and has come in close contact with them, drinking out of their waterier etc.
She doesn't show any symptoms...yet..
So it is in my right thinking, that if i want to totally get rid of this disease, to put them ALL down right?

Any other advice is welcome...
We have just done so much and they have so many problems....i think its better we just start over
hit.gif

This was suppose to be my "new" flock because i lost my old one to predators.

I have definitely learned alot though.
I will NEVER EVER buy adult birds again.
There is just too much risk even with quarantining...

hatching eggs and chicks from hatcheries are the way to go

Last edited:
I dont trust anyones birds but my own. If they were mine and had that i would cull them. It would be hard but i wouldnt want them to suffer.

Im sorry you are going through this but I think you are right. Sometimes we hold on for our own sake. I never buy adult birds for this reason. Only chicks from a hatchery or hatch my own. You need to disinfect really good. Fog the whole coop with Oxine after cleaning the coop with bleach water. Sanitize or buy all waterers and feeders. Good luck in the spring and a big
hugs.gif
to you

I am so sorry you are going through this
sad.png

We went through the same thing. We bought 7 4 month old pullets and almost immediately they had symptoms: runny noses, crusty eyes, and round worms. We got one necropsied and she came back with both strains of mycoplasma. We returned the chickens to the seller and our coop sat vacant for months. I sprayed the whole coop down with oxine and cleaned cleaned cleaned. My new flock came to me at less than a day old and so far they are the healthiest and happiest birds you could imagine. Ours was a HUGE learning experience as well. Stay strong, you are doing the right thing.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
Its really hard to do because i'm very attached to all of them but i can't let this go on any longer.
Its not fair to keep them sick and its wringing us dry with all the expenses of meds, vet visits, etc.
Its only seems to get worse. We will probably have a necropsy done on are sickest birds just so we know what we are dealing with.
I have no idea of its just one thing or multiple things but like i said...never getting adult birds again
hit.gif

Finding out what they all have, will really ease my mind and help me know how to prevent it in the future.
This is just another learning experience...

Been there and done that.
hit.gif
he.gif
It is terrible but now all the hens I have started on Denaguard when first born to keep them from getting it. Also cleanned the coop the runs and all with clorox then Vikrons. Put down new sand. Then painted the inside. I am so sorry you are going through this.
hugs.gif
. I have a new flock all healthy at the present and beautiful. They have just begun to lay. Gloria Jean

I am so sorry to hear this. You were so happy when you got your girls, and it has been a battle with them ever since.
Let me know when you are ready for more, I usually have Silkies almost all the time, and I may have some Japanese bantams by next year.
I am on Long Island, I take the New London ferry up alot, and can meet you somewhere.
No charge for a fellow peep that has gone thru so much.
hugs.gif

Roberta

Quote:
Ya, you live and learn i guess.
I heard you can put lyme down on the soil/sand to kill anything that is in it.
But i also know, that the freezing winter weather will kill alot of it.
Do you think we need something stronger then bleach then to clean the coop/feeders?
We still have left over paint so we should be able to re-paint it, if needed.

Back
Top Bottom