Cream Brabanter Chicks

I've been seeing a lot lately about Avian Osteoporosis and it's frequency among Brabanters in American flocks. What are all your thoughts on this? Does anyone have a AO-free flock?? I heard that all the affected birds come from Ideal stock, even as far as 12 years back, but obviously I don't know that to be the truth. Does anyone know if Show Me Silkie's, Rainbow Gate or H and H Poultry's Brabanter flocks comes originally from Ideal (not saying they have AO AT ALL, just wondering), as I am looking for a AO-free flock...

I've been seeing a lot lately about Avian Osteoporosis and it's frequency among Brabanters in American flocks. What are all your thoughts on this? Does anyone have a AO-free flock?? I heard that all the affected birds come from Ideal stock, even as far as 12 years back, but obviously I don't know that to be the truth. Does anyone know if Show Me Silkie's, Rainbow Gate or H and H Poultry's Brabanter flocks comes originally from Ideal (not saying they have AO AT ALL, just wondering), as I am looking for a AO-free flock...
Where did you hear that? All I've heard is that AO very rare. Virtually everyone's Brabanter came from Ideal, if only indirectly. H and H got hers from Ideal about 12 years ago. I got birds from her two years ago. I have never seen any signs of AO in my flock.

My closed flock has been 100% healthy, no issues with health or fertility. Very hardy chicks and adults.
If fact the only time I have lost a Brabanter it was due to predator, heat exhaustion, or sour crop. Possibly 5 lost since I began raising them.
Never lost a chick, yet.
I have no stock from Ideal or other breeders mentioned. No reports of health issues from anyone who purchased from me and my flock. I always welcome feedback, good or bad, from buyers. I also highly encourage those who have problems they contact the seller directly to discuss the issue.

I think it's unfair to point the blame back to Ideal. I know of a lot of people who have had issues with their Brabanters and contacted me for advice. What I have heard from the Ideal line is they lack hardiness, but no illness such as ALSV or MG mentioned or confirmed.
Health Issues stemming from other breeders (shall refrain from giving names) have been diagnosed and reported cases of Avian sarcoma leukosis virus (ASLV) and Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG). Both, ASLV & MG are currently spreading rapidly throughout flocks, to include Brabanters, from certain breeders. I am lucky and have plenty to work with so I have no plans or desire to add to my flock anytime soon. Maybe Suzanne Osio of Sterling Center Farm in NY, April Howington of H and H Poultry, and other breeders will chime in on this topic.
I do believe the AO is a direct effect of ALSV. MG is often confused with "just a cold". Both are contagious and easily spread.
A little info on ALSV & MG
ALSV - http://www.poultryscience.org/ps/paperpdfs/98/ps981204.pdf
MG - http://ps.fass.org/content/87/4/655.full?sid=67fd38a3-e471-44bb-805a-672f565b81b9

Again, if you have health problems within your flock, contact the seller. It is also possible if keeping multiple breeds the issues stem from them and/or poor husbandry.

I heard it on David Sapp's American Brabanter Page on facebook, the guy from show me silkies.

Last edited:
I heard it on David Sapp's American Brabanter Page on facebook, the guy from show me silkies.
I am on that page, too. One bird definitely had it. Two other flocks (including the flock belonging to the person who sold the eggs to the person who definitely had a bird with it) may have it. One bird for sure and two maybe is hardly an epidemiic.

Keep calm and carry on.

Hmmm. I got the feeling that there were more that weren't being talked about, I got the "suggestion" that maybe someone was still selling eggs that came from a contaminated flock. You are right, though. Best to keep calm and carry on!!!!!! :)

Hmmm. I got the feeling that there were more that weren't being talked about, I got the "suggestion" that maybe someone was still selling eggs that came from a contaminated flock. You are right, though. Best to keep calm and carry on!!!!!! :)
So far only two people have come forward with birds with symptoms. Tracking down the source of infection, if possible, would be a good idea. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be too many places able to test for it.

As a correction to "keep calm and carry on" (Deirdre), there is far more than 2 birds and one or two flocks which are ill with either MG and/or ASLV. Most whom have concerns have not went public for one reason or another. Can't tell you how many people have personally contacted me concerning illness within the Brabanters they hatched or purchased from other breeders.

Back
Top Bottom