Cream Legbar cross genetics and (auto)sexing

LAFreewayChickens

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
San Diego (goodbye LA)
Well, I just took the plunge at the San Diego area meetup and bought a pair of Cream Legbar chicks.

I am trying to plan ahead and think about what other hens it might make sense to put in the same pen (since I have only one Cream Legbar female), particularly if I hope to be able to sex the (mixed) offspring by coloration at hatch.

Does anybody have either theoretical or practical knowledge on this matter? I am guessing that if one bred the Cream Legbar roo with black barred hens (e.g., Barred Rocks), it might be possible to sex with some (perhaps imperfect) degree of certainty, if one knew what to look for.

I say this since Barred Rocks can usually (I've heard 90% of the time) be sexed at hatch by coloration. And a Cream Legbar x Barred Rock chick would get the barred gene from both parents. But perhaps some of the other genes would do unpredictable things to the coloration.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Last edited:
Hammytammy,

I've crossed my CL roos over Delware hens, which is a great gold sexlink cross. The girls grow out barred buff colombian and lay green eggs, whereas the boy are mostly white like a Del with some gold leakage at maturity and bigger than the CL roos, and thus they would be good meat birds. (I don't raise any birds for meat, but I give the boys away. With sexlinks I can give them away before I've invested much feed in them).

I

Here some of the chicks. The middle one with the gold/reddish tones is a female.

Here's a pic of a CLxDel (aka "North Atlantic Star") female hen.

Quote:
I guesstimated the outcome of a similar cross.... and was actually correct.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/745444/welsummer-cross-wyandotte another Wyandotte Welsumer cross https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/457668/wyandotte-welsummer-cross-cockerel-or-pullet but you will say? why Welsumer? well welsumers are like a welbar(autosexing breed just like legbar) without sexlinked barring.. and like welbars welbars and legbars share the following genetic make up.... e+e+(wildtype) need it for autosexing and B/B(Barring) now if you cross the Male from that cross(F1 from Wyandote to Legbar) you will be infact re creating the Gold Wybar breed... or at least getting to that Whats the Wybar? here check this link...http://www.britannicrarebreeds.co.uk/breedinfo/chicken_wybar.php http://www.autosexing.co.uk/wybar.html

here a few links of how bantam gold wybars should look like......

single barred male show alot more gold to him

Single Barred Gold laced wyandotte AKA gold Wybar

now here with double barred males(lighter color, kind of look like cream colored birds, but they lack the cream gene, its the double barring gene doing the diluting)

source
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...ion/305733-tongue-tied-about-feathers-ha.html

Last edited:
Well, I just took the plunge at the San Diego area meetup and bought a pair of Cream Legbar chicks.

I am trying to plan ahead and think about what other hens it might make sense to put in the same pen (since I have only one Cream Legbar female), particularly if I hope to be able to sex the (mixed) offspring by coloration at hatch.

Does anybody have either theoretical or practical knowledge on this matter? I am guessing that if one bred the Cream Legbar roo with black barred hens (e.g., Barred Rocks), it might be possible to sex with some (perhaps imperfect) degree of certainty, if one knew what to look for.

I say this since Barred Rocks can usually (I've heard 90% of the time) be sexed at hatch by coloration. And a Cream Legbar x Barred Rock chick would get the barred gene from both parents. But perhaps some of the other genes would do unpredictable things to the coloration.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?
im planning on sexlink chicks this spring.(2015) ive been researching and found byc thread "SEX-LINK INFORMATION" by tadkerson
AWSOME!!

im using my ccl roo over my br leghorn for shank/leg color sexlink.(boys yellow, girls grayish)
im also making Black sexlinks from my silverlaced wyandotte roo over my cuckoo marans for black pullets

my other crosses will be my ccl roo with
white leghorn
polish
faverolles
ameracuana (sp)-the breed-
for fun blue eggs and "sage ?" eggs from the faverolles cross

BUT ya know, i better not count my chickens before theyre hatched!
luv it!

now, if you had success last spring(2014)
could you share how your chicks all turned out?
clap.gif

tammy

Last edited:
The RIR legbar looks like it might get a crest

And a pic of all 5 chicks, 3 are i am pretty sure pure legbars.i have a legbar rooster and 2 legbar hens

I'm waiting till they all turn 2 months old to make sure of hen/rooster before i sell them, I'm also waiting to see how they all will look especially the RIR and Ameracauna mix. If the RIR is a girl i am waiting to see if she will lay an olive egg .and the Ameracauna too

you cannot sex when crossing a autosexing with a non sexing breed

a legbar is a Brown leghorn X BPR in the first instance anyway

you will get a weird hybrid if you cross a Legbar with a BPR which will not be autosexing at all

the rule of thumb is this

to get what we call a sex link is to cross 2 non sexing breeds (alot of people use BPR but others can be used depending on which breed it is) this will result in Sexlinkage

Autosexing on the other hand is differen, this is where you breed pure autosexing breeds together to get a chick that can be sexed at day old

in the legbar situation to get autosexing you must breed a Legbar with a Legbar and that will be autosexing and will breed true
this is basically breeding a sexlink with a sexlink as the legbar was derived by using the sexlinkage combination

the main thing to remeber is you cannot cross a sexlink with a non sexlink to get a sexlink that wont happen

and you have to breed a autosexing with a autosexing to get a autosexing that will breed true

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom