Cream legbar hen X Ameraucana rooster

They have the combination to be sex links but not auto sexing for more than the first generation.
What is your ameraucana? He he a color pure true ameraucana or just a mixed color hatchery ameraucana?
If you know his genes you could figure out what color the chicks would be.
If he is unknown genetics then it will be a matter of whether the offspring were a color that you can easily see a head spot or not.
They don't have to be a solid color many color/patterns will work its just harder to see the head spot on some lighter colors and really hard on like buff/yellow chicks.
What will a blue Ameraucana and CL hen make?
Would the chicks come out blue?
I guess I should ask, what color AMERAUCANA roo over the CL hen would produce blue chicks?
Or at least blue Cockrels

What will a blue Ameraucana and CL hen make?
Would the chicks come out blue?
I guess I should ask, what color AMERAUCANA roo over the CL hen would produce blue chicks?
Or at least blue Cockrels
Blue would produce about 50% blues and about 50% blacks.
To get all blue chicks you'd need to use a splash.
All the cockerels would be barred and all the pullets wouldn't be barred.
You may get leakage on the pullets hackle area and you would surely get leakage on the cockerels hackle, back and saddle areas.

Blue would produce about 50% blues and about 50% blacks.
To get all blue chicks you'd need to use a splash.
All the cockerels would be barred and all the pullets wouldn't be barred.
You may get leakage on the pullets hackle area and you would surely get leakage on the cockerels hackle, back and saddle areas.
What kind of Splash Ameraucana?
I've been seeing a couple, splash and splash wheaten.

Also, is the CL hen considered to carry the black gene? Or split?

A CL doesn't carry black per say but has black in their pattern.
A CL is gold duckwing with barring and cream.
Blue and splash dilutes black to blue or splash whether the black is a solid bird or just has black in their pattern.
What you cross is up to you. Either way your mixing the e pattern.
CL is duckwing (wild type)
Solid blue or splash is extended black
And wheaten is wheaten.
You'll have to look into what a duckwing/extended black cross looks like.
And what a duckwing/wheaten cross looks like.
Then imagine the black areas change to blue and decide what you want.

Yup...Moonshiner is spot on.

My CL hen bred to my Barnevelder rooster produces gorgeous sex linked chicks, first generation (the boys come out looking like CL roosters while the girls have a black base and gorgeous gold pencilling). As chicks, the boys are muted with a clear head dot while the girls are chipmunk and sometimes just a splash/sliver of white head dotting.

If you breed those back to the original non-barred rooster, you've got no barring in the girls left, so all sex linking is lost.

If you take your single barred males from that generation and breed them back to a single barred female, you get double barred males (50% of the time ETA) and single barred females and single barred males. It takes a couple of generations to cull out those that look ambiguous or have the single barring, but keeping to that line will give you auto sexing....ability to see male/female at hatch from head dot/chick down color alone.

And yes base color of the rooster really plays into the matching. A light colored rooster will hide that head dot, or sometimes wheaten simply creeps in from a throw back (being recessive)...and you get this really cute chick that you can't tell what it is until it grows up.

Lots of fun making your own sex links and auto sexing lines. Always use your strongest, healthiest, and clearest marked birds for breeding forward.

Do be aware that you can breed out the coloring of eggs if you don't pay attention as you are using EE's which often have only 1 blue shell gene of the 2 possible.

Your CL hen will have 2 blue genes x your 1 blue gene rooster. The hens are easy to tell shell color because they lay, however you can't tell what's under the hood of the rooster until you test breed.

Using statistical math, with the CL/EE crossing folllowing for blue eggs (as you don't want to breed out the blue coloring) you get 50% will have 2 blue genes and 50% will have only 1 blue gene in the offspring...while choosing for autosexing, you also need to choose for egg color so that you don't end up breeding a 1 blue gene to a 1 blue gene which ends up with 25% 2 blue genes, 50% 1 blue gene, 25% no blue gene.

Have fun with your blue egg layers and sex linking. :D
LofMc

I know this is a bit old, but so you have any pictures of your Barnevelder roo over CL hen? I would love to see any if so as I’ve hatched this cross, thought she was a sexlinked female but now has me worried with a large comb. I’ll post a pic of mine here at 1 and 3 weeks. If no pics no problem:)

Attachments

• 1145D3B8-0369-4AE3-87E1-5A9074012601.jpeg
    1145D3B8-0369-4AE3-87E1-5A9074012601.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 47784D29-3B1A-4FF1-B07B-7EE35A85D04B.jpeg
    47784D29-3B1A-4FF1-B07B-7EE35A85D04B.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 21
I know this is a bit old, but so you have any pictures of your Barnevelder roo over CL hen? I would love to see any if so as I’ve hatched this cross, thought she was a sexlinked female but now has me worried with a large comb. I’ll post a pic of mine here at 1 and 3 weeks. If no pics no problem:)

I'll try to get a photo of the hens. No promises though as busy this week.

How the offspring look depends on your CL line (and Barnvelder line as well).

I had one CL that was truly "cream" meaning gold suppressed so that she looked like a proper Cream Legbar (which actually looks partridge with silver hackles, chest).

A coon got that batch of CL, so I restarted with another CL breeder I didn't know well, actually a hobbyist, and the hen I hatched from the eggs is really considered golden Crele Legbar.....the actual base color of all CL but cream have the gold inhibitors to make it look cream (which is actually a silver look).

All chicks will be chipmunk down, varying coloring of gold or silver, depending on mother.

Of the Crele with Barnvelder, and Cream with Barnvelder, boys are barred (black and white) with red bleed through.

From your photos, you appear to have a male there. You see the head stripe? And that looks to be barring coming in on the feathers. I have 2 males that look just like that just a few weeks further along. (One I would have SWORN was going to be female, as I was hoping that tiny whiff of white on its head wasn't barring...but no...both boys).

Females of either Cream or Crele with the Barnvelder will have no white head spots, dots, or stripes, even tiny ones.

In my experience, the daughters from the Cream Legbar come in solid black body base color with gold penciling or as they had a gold inhibitor mother. From the Golden Crele, girls became brown-red ground color with black lacing/penciling, as the gold-red was not suppressed.

HTH
LofMc

I'll try to get a photo of the hens. No promises though as busy this week.

How the offspring look depends on your CL line (and Barnvelder line as well).

I had one CL that was truly "cream" meaning gold suppressed so that she looked like a proper Cream Legbar (which actually looks partridge with silver hackles, chest).

A coon got that batch of CL, so I restarted with another CL breeder I didn't know well, actually a hobbyist, and the hen I hatched from the eggs is really considered golden Crele Legbar.....the actual base color of all CL but cream have the gold inhibitors to make it look cream (which is actually a silver look).

All chicks will be chipmunk down, varying coloring of gold or silver, depending on mother.

Of the Crele with Barnvelder, and Cream with Barnvelder, boys are barred (black and white) with red bleed through.

From your photos, you appear to have a male there. You see the head stripe? And that looks to be barring coming in on the feathers. I have 2 males that look just like that just a few weeks further along. (One I would have SWORN was going to be female, as I was hoping that tiny whiff of white on its head wasn't barring...but no...both boys).

Females of either Cream or Crele with the Barnvelder will have no white head spots, dots, or stripes, even tiny ones.

In my experience, the daughters from the Cream Legbar come in solid black body base color with gold penciling or as they had a gold inhibitor mother. From the Golden Crele, girls became brown-red ground color with black lacing/penciling, as the gold-red was not suppressed.

HTH
LofMc

Thank you so much for your response. It did turn out to be a cockerel! The dark stripe really through me off b/c I thought this was a sign of Legbar female (I know mine are a cross, but thought it would follow same rules...). So now I’ve hatched another similar and wonder what you think? Looks very similar to the last one and also has a small light reddish spot on its head, so I’m assuming male again?? Thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom