Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
Thanks @ChicKat for the photo complements. I love taking pictures of my chickens I cant help it. I think I have thousands of chicken pictures stored on my computer lol.

And I am not insulted by the pullet age progression. If you ever need pictures for any of the discussion please ask, I love to help.

Im in love with this little pullet I can t wait to see her mature. I am really looking forward to next spring to start hatching some more. I have even been considering only working with CL so I can really focus on them. I also have Marans, black and blue copper. But I almost feel like I don't have the time or space to work with 2 different breeds and actually accomplish anything
hmm.png

Only because my friend and I have had Cuckoo and BCMs and were disappointed in their temperaments, egg color, egg production, and glutonous appetites, my vote is that you go with the pretty blue egg-laying CLs. JMHO
smile.png

I have had cuckoo marans, also. Some of the hens were very sweet........ The rest of them were NOT. The roosters, however were some of my nicer roosters that I ever raised. Egg color was very disappointing......... As for being dual purpose? My 12 week old cockerels were very puny, no matterbwhat I fed them.

However, in all fairness, the best reason I can name for keeping my legbars is because the hens are sooooooo sweet. Both roosters I have had were mean, sneaky little so & so's. Legbars do lay a lot more eggs than cuckoo marans. Now I am waiting for truly blue eggs..........

enola!!!!!!

I'm so glad that you mentioned eggs. I am getting this saturated egg -- and I really LIKE it.

The upper left corner is a green egg from one of my Isbars to offset the colors--- the egg on the right my usual eggs color--but the one next to it in the middle--- it has some gloss, and it is a deeper color -- almost between OAC177 and OAC178 to my eyes glossier too - both these pullets were hatched at the same time -- raised the same way, have the same parents --etc. The darker egg laying pullet is a darker pullet than the one laying OAC179.

does anyone with an OAC have a bluer or darker than 178? I'm tempted to hatch eggs from this pullet just because I like the egg color....

It is funny how selecting for just one and only one trait can change the chickens...

Last edited:
Personally, I think egg color is one of THE most important things that breeders should be considering. After all, that is what most people purchase Legbars for - their blue eggs.

Congratulations on that pullet's blue egg! Is she actually cream colored?

I don't have my color chart with me, so I can't see the shade you are referring to. I do know that my "more colored" hens are laying "greenish" eggs not "bluish" eggs.

When I first got my Legbars...I thought that only selection would influence the egg coloration - and I would aggressively select for the most blue eggs. Subsequently, I learned that Marans did that - and there were prices to pay -- such as less frequency of the very saturated eggs...which is also a consideration for me. I want a flock that is highly productive and has a really good feed-conversion ratio.

Of all my flock - I don't know if there are any that are 'true' cream - meaning that the unfolded wings are gray all mine are taupe and brownish... This pullet is fairly 'dark' The remarkable thing is that she did start laying later than her hatchmates -- and so as their legs went from neon-yellow to light yellow she stood out. The same carotenoid pigments that make the beak and legs yellow also contribute to the eggs being more saturated. She's also a pullet so it could be that as the eggs get bigger the saturation will decrease. I have another set of pullets - same rooster, different hen, where the leg color variation is huge..They are probably a month away from laying. i'll track if there is a leg-color/egg-color correlation.

If you get a chance to check your chart I would be so interested in what colors your bluer and greener eggs are near.

I'm kind of more interested in performance than show-ability - and I have a preference for the 'darker' Legbars--- hence exploring the possible need for an SOP for the Crele colors that retain what some people are calling gold. :O)

Last edited:
enola!!!!!!

I'm so glad that you mentioned eggs. I am getting this saturated egg -- and I really LIKE it.

The upper left corner is a green egg from one of my Isbars to offset the colors--- the egg on the right my usual eggs color--but the one next to it in the middle--- it has some gloss, and it is a deeper color -- almost between OAC177 and OAC178 to my eyes glossier too - both these pullets were hatched at the same time -- raised the same way, have the same parents --etc. The darker egg laying pullet is a darker pullet than the one laying OAC179.

does anyone with an OAC have a bluer or darker than 178? I'm tempted to hatch eggs from this pullet just because I like the egg color....

It is funny how selecting for just one and only one trait can change the chickens...

I don't have Legbars - but on the topic of gloss vs matte - I have a lighter Partridge Silkie that lays cream dull matte eggs and a Black Silkie that lays pinkish glossy eggs. Don't know if your idea pertains to my two different colored Silkies but my dark Black Silkie lays the deeper-tinted eggs and I wonder if the gloss makes the color seem deeper too. I've also read blogs/reviews that said Black Penedesencas layed the darkest eggs of all the varieties of Penes. I've read similar reports about Black Marans being the darkest layers. With my not being knowledgeable about genetics or egg colors I found the following interesting about blue, white, green, and brown egg layers: http://maranschickenclubusa.com/files/eggreview.pdf

I have three legbars but one got camera shy. We rescued them a month ago from auction. They were crawling with lice, vent gleet , but they are much happier now. Not sure on age, but were told they were hatched this year. Can anyone help? When should we expect eggs? Their combs have turned a lovely cherry red lately. I know the lice and vent gleet would have stressed them and delayed laying but we are so excited for blue eggs!!

I don't have Legbars - but on the topic of gloss vs matte - I have a lighter Partridge Silkie that lays cream dull matte eggs and a Black Silkie that lays pinkish glossy eggs. Don't know if your idea pertains to my two different colored Silkies but my dark Black Silkie lays the deeper-tinted eggs and I wonder if the gloss makes the color seem deeper too. I've also read blogs/reviews that said Black Penedesencas layed the darkest eggs of all the varieties of Penes. I've read similar reports about Black Marans being the darkest layers. With my not being knowledgeable about genetics or egg colors I found the following interesting about blue, white, green, and brown egg layers: http://maranschickenclubusa.com/files/eggreview.pdf
Thanks Sylvester017-- You are really making me wonder if there is something to the total pigment of the chicken making the eggs darker too?? some chickens are pigment factories and some aren't LOL.....It IS interesting about your Silkies -- and yes, I think glossy eggs look a bit darker than the matte ones.

:O)

I just purchased 4 chicks from Chickens Galore in Norco. He couldn't guarantee the sexes of any of the babies, so I asked about the Cream Legbars because of the autosexing (figured that I could at least guarantee that ONE was a girl)....Russell's assistant helped me in choosing one and after getting them home and looking at your pictures, he most definitely gave me a BOY. Darn it!!!

I just purchased 4 chicks from Chickens Galore in Norco. He couldn't guarantee the sexes of any of the babies, so I asked about the Cream Legbars because of the autosexing (figured that I could at least guarantee that ONE was a girl)....Russell's assistant helped me in choosing one and after getting them home and looking at your pictures, he most definitely gave me a BOY. Darn it!!!
can you take it back and exchange for a girl?? -- drat... (do it quick before he steals your heart)......;o)

Back
Top Bottom