Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
I got my chart from the Marans Chicken Club USA. I have seen other charts on-line, but this is the only chart I have a hard copy of and generally what I use to evaluate eggs.

There was a High School Class in Avery, North Carolina studying the genetics of rare breeds of chickens. The Cream Legbar Club donated hatching eggs to the class to hatch and they send back information on the class project. One of the sample assignments that they sent was the classification of egg colors. They received Cream Legbar, Auracana, and Ameraucana hatching eggs and used the Auracana color chart to classify them. Even with every student in the class using the same color chart I am guessing that there was a variation of numbers listed. I would have loved to grade that class assignment to see the deviation in answers.

The class received Marans, Penedencesa and other dark brown eggs. I noticed that the class used two different Marans charts for that portion of the assignment and likewise would have liked to grade that assignment to see how one card compared to the other and how the subjectivity from one student to the next effected the range of colors listed.

It think the article on the class project is in the 3rd Quarter 2013 Newsletter of the Cream Legbar Club.

Note: The same color card will show up different depending on the lighting it is photographed in. I would assume that my color and yours would be about the same if put next to each other in real life. My photo above was taken with flash. The flash I have noticed make things look lighter than when I turn the flash off.

Cameras and online colors seldom look like the natural object in reality - one reason that I don't post pics of my egg colors. My camera makes the eggs look deeper and more colorful than in reality.

Had to show you this because it is so funny !

It isn't a dust bath because when the do this they are completely immobile. I never can catch them at it. They stand all their feathers on end...it is sooooo funny.
lau.gif

Had to show you this because it is so funny !

It isn't a dust bath because when the do this they are completely immobile. I never can catch them at it. They stand all their feathers on end...it is sooooo funny.
lau.gif

First time I saw my Silkies do this on the hot paver stone patio I thought they were dead or dying. Chickens are a hoot!

First time I saw my Silkies do this on the hot paver stone patio I thought they were dead or dying. Chickens are a hoot!
X2 -- I did this big long expose on the "savasana" or shavasana yoga position and how my chickens were doing Yoga - now-a-days that asana is called the 'corpse pose' (I think back in my day it was called the sponge...but corpse is so much more descriptive...)--- EXCEPT - they hold their feathers upright. A Cream Legbar Pullet with her crest all raised, along with hackels etc...is like she stuck her toe in the light socket. (Then my computer couldn't save it to my blog -- so I had to trot over here and post those picts.)---- Yes you are right they are a Hoot! :O)

They are very nice. I hatched 21 chicks and end up with 15 cockerels. Many of the cockerel has crooked comb. There are too many gold feathers on the cockerel and pullet.
I am also getting a high ratio of cockerels: 3 roos to every 1 pullet...it doesn't seem to matter what time of year, if they are from an incubator or a broody hen; the overall hatch rate is 50% or less, maybe the losses are all females...

Back
Top Bottom