Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
I know there is an allowed variance in down coloration but I would still love to hear more. Are your male chicks always that dark? Do you have pics as they age like maybe juvenile pics as well as adult? Just curious because my chicks as of current are colored differently so I would love to hear more feed back on chick coloration. My males are mostly very pale so I was curious. Also another thing I noted from your chicks is the whitish faces, does that play a part at all later in adult color?
It would be good to have comparative chick photos -- I have to say that my flock is usually very vivid in dorsal stripes - Here's a baby pict from last December:

I think he is fairly light -- my first hatch has some a tiny bit lighter....(but he is in a lot of reflected light there too---)
Here are some grow-out pictures...

female in that photo is on the feeder....

switching from down to feathers....

ready to move out doors

another hatch -- in the 'brooder' (on the washer lol)

The washer bunch moved out doors (a little early I think that there was another group of chicks that pushed htem out of the brooder).

I do see what you are saying....that they are darker than a lot of chix pix - I really focus in on the Wild Type and the match to Punnett's plate from that magazine -- I think that picture makes their faces look whiter than they were -- but it is pretty accurate for their baby plumage....All my males do have dorsal stripes at hatch - but not as definite as the females.

The really dark ones I had were broody raised..and I just have a couple of pictures from the 'olden days' before I had a hdd crash

very dark female beside broody

And of course the boy there is back lit - so it is going to look exceptionally dark...lol -

What a fun trip through the past. It's a good thing I have a full brooder right now-- or I would want to rush out and set some eggs -- (then they would be ready to go outdoors just when the weather is due to be the coldest...not the brightest idea....)

Like Chicken Pickin - I would be really interested to see peoples chicks and grow out pictures for the variations in down that we are seeing....

ETA another one
0.jpg

a video .

Last edited:
Thanks WalleyWaller -

We should get a cross stitch for the wall -- 'chicks make everything Okay' -- well sort of. :O)

Hopefully lots of folks will post their chicks and juveniles pictures -- got any to share?
Great pics ChicKat!!! They look so great. I plan to post pics of some of my CLs age progression. It might take some time to sort through my thousands of chicken pics to find them lol but I will.
I will post as soon as I find the time:)

edited to add - I just noticed the video. So cute! The down color on them looks different in the video, the faces less white and even the down not as dark as the still pictures make them look. Very nice chicks.

Last edited:
Great pics ChicKat!!! They look so great. I plan to post pics of some of my CLs age progression. It might take some time to sort through my thousands of chicken pics to find them lol but I will.
I will post as soon as I find the time:)

edited to add - I just noticed the video. So cute! The down color on them looks different in the video, the faces less white and even the down not as dark as the still pictures make them look. Very nice chicks.
Thanks Chicken Pickin -- Those are a bunch of different hatches, and I think that the video was my very first hatch in 2012.... partly that is why I was so shocked by the later hatch that the chicks were so 'black' ---the ones with the broody....

I guess I have a picture too, of one female that was the lightest female I had - she was called 'blondie' - but was killed by a raccoon attack on the cage. small contrast between face and the rest of the down....not like the one with the black and white.... I really have had a large variety of coloration over the years....lol

..I didn't even realize way back then to keep better records etc. Or that she looked like that as a chick and in a few weeks I wouldn't be able to tell her from the others if I hadn't leg banded her (I lost a LOT to raccoons)---

Really looking forward to your postings and the age progressions.
thumbsup.gif

Here are some pics of Hope when she was little

The following pic has Hope on top followed by Faith and Marco

Hope at 2 weeks.

Hope 5 weeks

Following two are not dated but I believe she was 17 weeks then.

Finally Hope Today

Thanks for the updates Junibutt....

I'm still loving Hope, she grew up to be a nice rounded girl. ;O) Faith is pretty too - and so is Sheila. One thing that stood out to me with a difference between Hope and Faith is that the barring on the lower 'fluff' behind the legs is more distinct on Faith and less so on Hope. That's interesting.

Love your pictures of them...now, where did you get the eggs ?? I really like the distinct chipmunk stripes...too Is that Marco in one of those photos? Does he have his collar on ...... is it helping the crow situation. You do have a nice bunch of Legbars there IMO!!

And eggs, are they frequent and still as blue from Hope? I bought a trio from a friend, and I have to say that the hens are what I would consider really inferior layers.... they are going to the chicken auction as 'pretty chickens, occasioinal layers, producers of copious amounts of fertilizer' - but the male from that trio is really Good for my flock!

Thanks for the updates Junibutt....

I'm still loving Hope, she grew up to be a nice rounded girl. ;O) Faith is pretty too - and so is Sheila. One thing that stood out to me with a difference between Hope and Faith is that the barring on the lower 'fluff' behind the legs is more distinct on Faith and less so on Hope. That's interesting.

Love your pictures of them...now, where did you get the eggs ?? I really like the distinct chipmunk stripes...too Is that Marco in one of those photos? Does he have his collar on ...... is it helping the crow situation. You do have a nice bunch of Legbars there IMO!!

And eggs, are they frequent and still as blue from Hope? I bought a trio from a friend, and I have to say that the hens are what I would consider really inferior layers.... they are going to the chicken auction as 'pretty chickens, occasioinal layers, producers of copious amounts of fertilizer' - but the male from that trio is really Good for my flock!
I did not notice the barring, so will check if its the case or was it the picture lighting. Its really hard for me to differentiate between Hope & Faith except for Hope's S-Comb. Faith is still growing hers so who knows she may get an S as well.

I will PM you the source of eggs, it was from BYC member.

So far only Hope is laying, Faith probably has another week or so to go. Hope has laid 6 eggs in 7 days so far. Lets see how week 2 goes.

No-Crow Collar so far is not working. I have to bring myself to tightening it a little more but I am afraid I will choke him. Lets see!

Back
Top Bottom