Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics

This little hen is a very pretty girl. You can't tell from this angle, but she has a nice heavy body and lays a beautiful large egg. Her crest and comb are pretty nice. She came from FMP's culls. She isn't very dark, but there is nothing gray about her. :) Any one of you genetic experts want to talk about brown vs gray. Different genes, or diluted colors... or...?
How old is she? She is a very pretty CL hen. If she is still young her colors can still change a bit.

I noticed in my older hens that were taupe in color their first year, after molt (their first real molt) their feathers started coming in gray. Its possible she could molt to the proper color. This is one reason many say starting breeding with a 2 year old hen is the best way to go.

Many CL pullets and hens we see tend to be more on the warmer taupe or brown side rather than the gray side. Im not good with genetics so I cant really talk with that in mind.

Many of my pullets and hens are more on the gray side with a little taupe or brown tinge. I think culling older taupe or brown hens could help and only mate from the gray hens, but Im not positive on that. If people do culll for the taupe/brown coloring I would suggest not culling/rehoming until after their first real molt though.

Last edited:
What do you look for in a male as far as barring goes in your flock? Im sure different people prefer different things, some may like dark others may like light barred birds, maybe some are looking for crisper, or more evenly spaced barring.

You said it well, I am looking for darker, evenly spaced, crisper barring. I think it is a nice contrast to the cream, not that I've seen that combination in my flock yet =)

How old is she? She is a very pretty CL hen. If she is still young her colors can still change a bit.

I noticed in my older hens that were taupe in color their first year, after molt (their first real molt) their feathers started coming in gray. Its possible she could molt to the proper color. This is one reason many say starting breeding with a 2 year old hen is the best way to go.

Many CL pullets and hens we see tend to be more on the warmer taupe or brown side rather than the gray side. Im not good with genetics so I can really talk with that in mind.

Many of my pullets and hens are more on the gray side with a little taupe or brown tinge. I think culling older taupe or brown hens could help and only mate from the gray hens, but Im not positive on that. If people do culll for the taupe/brown coloring I would suggest not culling/rehoming until after their first real molt though.
I got her as a pullet last year, she is right around 1 year, give or take. She has not had her first full molt. I hate to take her out of the breeding group, because my hens are all over the board on type, crest, etc. I think she is a nice type. :) Thanks for you comments. :) I will look forward to her molt. :)

I got her as a pullet last year, she is right around 1 year, give or take. She has not had her first full molt. I hate to take her out of the breeding group, because my hens are all over the board on type, crest, etc. I think she is a nice type. :) Thanks for you comments. :) I will look forward to her molt. :)
Here are some examples of when 2 of my hens started going through molt last fall

Were the feathers coming in darker?  Those are very interesting examples.
The feathers were more of a light taupe color. When they started to molt the feathers stated coming in with darker cooler toned gray colored feathers. I'll see if I can take pics today to maybe show before and after. I haven't taken many pics of the hens since winter.

Last edited:
The feathers were more of a light taupe color. When they started to molt the feathers stated coming in with darker cooler toned gray colored feathers. I'll see if I can take pics today to maybe show before and after. I haven't taken many pics of the hens since winter.
Thats very interesting. My flock hasn't had a true molt yet so lets see if it hold true in their case. But I also have a problem with my chicken not having a full molt because of the street lights in my area. They practically have some light 24 x 7.

After years of breeding CLs and never being 100% sure what Cream is really "supposed" to look like, and whether the fact that you can see rust on my roosters wings means they are not homozygous for cream, I got some Bielefelder eggs and hatched them at the same time, so now I have a comparison.

This pic shows them now. You can see that the breast of one has much more gold in it. Actually the ends of the feathers on his back, too.

Here's they are much earlier:

I don't have a side-by-side female comparison. It's probably less noticeable, but I think the Bielefelder is redder throughout.

After years of breeding CLs and never being 100% sure what Cream is really "supposed" to look like, and whether the fact that you can see rust on my roosters wings means they are not homozygous for cream, I got some Bielefelder eggs and hatched them at the same time, so now I have a comparison.

This pic shows them now. You can see that the breast of one has much more gold in it. Actually the ends of the feathers on his back, too.

Here's they are much earlier:

I don't have a side-by-side female comparison. It's probably less noticeable, but I think the Bielefelder is redder throughout.
nice contrasts --
not in LA? where now?

Back
Top Bottom