Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
This is a really bad photo but my birds found 2 frogs.. here's one of my CL with it. Kept running from the others so couldn't get a good photo

This is a really bad photo but my birds found 2 frogs.. here's one of my CL with it. Kept running from the others so couldn't get a good photo

At about 12 weeks one of my girls found a little frog in the coop run one morning and played frantic keep away with the others for a LONG time (I hadn't seen that since they were chicks!). I finally decided to give her a break and interrupted her pursuers so she had a minute to gulp it down.

Which one was it? Why, the one who hustles for food the best, Jenny the Piggy, of course!!! (Good piggy!!!)

- Ant Farm

At about 12 weeks one of my girls found a little frog in the coop run one morning and played frantic keep away with the others for a LONG time (I hadn't seen that since they were chicks!). I finally decided to give her a break and interrupted her pursuers so she had a minute to gulp it down.

Which one was it? Why, the one who hustles for food the best, Jenny the Piggy, of course!!! (Good piggy!!!)

- Ant Farm

That's funny. Yeah these frogs were a bit too big to just gulp down

Not great photo's but here are some of my Cream leg bars. Merlin the rooster was kept in a very low small cage before he came here so lost a lot of his tail feathers as there just about going into molt I'm hoping his new set of tail feathers grow in as stunning as Old Charlie my last Cream leg bar rooster's were.

I lost Charlie earlier this year to a mystery illness. Despite numerous vet visits n tests we never did find out the true reason to why he so suddenly lost weight and got sick. Merlin was about to become the Sunday roast when another Cream leg bar breeder who knew about him stepped in and got him for me from someone he knew.

Merlin's comb unfortunately folds over but that's about his only real fault. I have 3 young unrelated roosters I'm growing on who have good combs and markings for next year.

The 4 hens are all nice and true to type but are going into molt so are loosing tail feathers and looking a bit rough. But 3 still laying good eggs at the moment.

I have a question and want to know if anyone else has had this scenario turn up?

All my hens were laying bright blue eggs then one all of a sudden started laying cream colored eggs???

This went in for about a month and I just have used her eggs for food not keeping any for hatching. She's def a pure bred hen from a very reputable show breeder here who has no other breed of chickens. All my original birds came from her as she has several unrelated lines.

Well after a month I started getting blue patches back on her eggs and now her eggs are fully blue again n some of the darkest I have.

Has any one else ever had this happen as I'm at a loss to know why it happened. She's only just going into molt now so it wasn't that and her diets not changed and she still free ranges every other day????

Maikan

Not great photo's but here are some of my Cream leg bars. Merlin the rooster was kept in a very low small cage before he came here so lost a lot of his tail feathers as there just about going into molt I'm hoping his new set of tail feathers grow in as stunning as Old Charlie my last Cream leg bar rooster's were.

I lost Charlie earlier this year to a mystery illness. Despite numerous vet visits n tests we never did find out the true reason to why he so suddenly lost weight and got sick. Merlin was about to become the Sunday roast when another Cream leg bar breeder who knew about him stepped in and got him for me from someone he knew.

Merlin's comb unfortunately folds over but that's about his only real fault. I have 3 young unrelated roosters I'm growing on who have good combs and markings for next year.

The 4 hens are all nice and true to type but are going into molt so are loosing tail feathers and looking a bit rough. But 3 still laying good eggs at the moment.

I have a question and want to know if anyone else has had this scenario turn up?

All my hens were laying bright blue eggs then one all of a sudden started laying cream colored eggs???

This went in for about a month and I just have used her eggs for food not keeping any for hatching. She's def a pure bred hen from a very reputable show breeder here who has no other breed of chickens. All my original birds came from her as she has several unrelated lines.

Well after a month I started getting blue patches back on her eggs and now her eggs are fully blue again n some of the darkest I have.

Has any one else ever had this happen as I'm at a loss to know why it happened. She's only just going into molt now so it wasn't that and her diets not changed and she still free ranges every other day????

Maikan
Hi Maikan,

Love your photo it is so Ireland. Once had a business trip to Leixlip, did a bit of consulting at the Intel campus there. On the one day off I had - went to Celbridge to be a tourist -- What a beautiful countryside and what great people. The lighting reminds me of Old master's Paintings.

Your egg shell story is the very first one I ever heard like that in the 3 1/2 years that I have been involved with Cream Legbars. It must be something unique to that hen -- but obviously could affect any Cream Legbar - and possibly any blue-layer --- something to do with the Hen's make up, metabolism and how she pigmented her egg shells for the duration. It is so interesting to think that she could loose and then regain her color. Thanks for the photo and the information -- and I'm so glad that Merlin didn't become Sunday roast.

Hi Maikan,

Love your photo it is so Ireland. Once had a business trip to Leixlip, did a bit of consulting at the Intel campus there. On the one day off I had - went to Celbridge to be a tourist -- What a beautiful countryside and what great people. The lighting reminds me of Old master's Paintings.

Your egg shell story is the very first one I ever heard like that in the 3 1/2 years that I have been involved with Cream Legbars. It must be something unique to that hen -- but obviously could affect any Cream Legbar - and possibly any blue-layer --- something to do with the Hen's make up, metabolism and how she pigmented her egg shells for the duration. It is so interesting to think that she could loose and then regain her color. Thanks for the photo and the information -- and I'm so glad that Merlin didn't become Sunday roast.

Hi ChicKat,

I have to say Ireland's a great place to live I came to visit and kinda ended up staying lol! I'm Canadian but have spent a lot of time living in Europe. I know what you mean about the light here as well, it makes some amazing photo's, I have a small mountain farm here though the mountains are nothing size wise like the Rockies back home where I lived.

Yeah this hen's really got me foxed on the egg color thing but as you point out all I can think is its something in her genetic make up or its something to do dietary wise though what I'm really not sure. Anyhow I'll see how she go's and I'll hatch a few of her eggs but keep the offspring back to see if they do the same . If they do then I wont breed from her again just keep her and her offspring in the egg layers pen so they will be just plain happy chickens.

Merlin's proving to be a great rooster and man he sure looks after and loves his hens. Apparently the guy who rescued him and gave him to me originally bred him and says his comb was always upright until he ended up in that small cage. He was in there for about 6 months and as he grew he became to tall for it hence his tail and pos his comb. Ahh well he wont be shown here but he's a great n friendly rooster. I look forwards to see his first set of offspring who are due to hatch shortly. There under a great Bantam broody I have who wont let anyone check her eggs so we go n check them when she heads out once a day for a feed etc. I lamped them yesterday and they are all developing well so fingers crossed.

Maikan

Back
Top Bottom