Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
Can't wait to see pictures of your chicks from Merlin....Hope that your hatch is a really good one. -- Have had roosters with combs that straightened -- but not living where they didn't have room to be upright. Know what? I will really be looking forward to the postings of your chicken developments! :O)

This is Burp he's one of the young Cream Leg bar roosters, he's an excellent gardener in the poly tunnel but gets fed up of the others dust bathing and messing up all his good work.

Burp ( I didn't name him this my daughters did lol!) is really friendly and will chat to me the whole time whilst I'm working in the poly tunnels he also doesn't eat the veg just the bugs n the weeds.

Last edited:
This is Burp he's one of the young Cream Leg bar roosters, he's an excellent gardener in the poly tunnel but gets fed up of the others dust bathing and messing up all his good work.

Burp ( I didn't name him this my daughters did lol!) is really friendly and will chat to me the whole time whilst I'm working in the poly tunnels he also doesn't eat the veg just the bugs n the weeds.

Hi from California =)
Burp is just a crazy chicken name! I use poly tunnels to keep the chickens out of the garden, they make a mess of mine =)
Thanks for posting your chicken pics.

My youngest got mixed up with the name Bert and kept calling him Burp, and of course the name stuck lol! Normally the chickens are banned from the poly tunnel but I got a problem with ant nests for some reason , most likely down to the extremely wet n cold summer they moved in as its drier and warmer in there. Any how the ants began damaging plants and as I don't use pesticides etc in the poly tunnel it was down to finding an alternative method of ant control. Burp followed me in one day when I was watering the veggies and was so excited when he found the ants. I tried adding a few other young birds but they didn't work out until I added the Marans. Now we have a great garden clean up crew and the ant situation is finally well under control YAY!!!!
celebrate.gif

The big chooks aren't allowed in but some of the young friendly quiet birds namely Burp and my 3 Copper Black Marans have proven to be an excellent Ant clean up crew. Who are more interested in hunting ants and weeding out the smallest weeds. They occasionally pinch some of the lowest grapes off the vine but not many and dust bath in the pathway. There also only in there when I am just to make sure.

Last edited:
My youngest got mixed up with the name Bert and kept calling him Burp, and of course the name stuck lol! Normally the chickens are banned from the poly tunnel but I got a problem with ant nests for some reason , most likely down to the extremely wet n cold summer they moved in as its drier and warmer in there. Any how the ants began damaging plants and as I don't use pesticides etc in the poly tunnel it was down to finding an alternative method of ant control. Burp followed me in one day when I was watering the veggies and was so excited when he found the ants. I tried adding a few other young birds but they didn't work out until I added the Marans. Now we have a great garden clean up crew and the ant situation is finally well under control YAY!!!!
celebrate.gif

The big chooks aren't allowed in but some of the young friendly quiet birds namely Burp and my 3 Copper Black Marans have proven to be an excellent Ant clean up crew. Who are more interested in hunting ants and weeding out the smallest weeds. They occasionally pinch some of the lowest grapes off the vine but not many and dust bath in the pathway. There also only in there when I am just to make sure.
Smart approach -- trained weed and pest control. You may really be on to something there.
wink.png

Ahh I sure am, I even have recruited a few of a certain type of snail native to here to live in my poly tunnel as it loves to eat the green fly, black fly, white fly n carrot fly. I kid you not and it really works. I just plant a small trash crop that they like to feed on more than my other veg as well n they pretty much leave all the other plants alone. They head to this trash crop which is netted off from the chickens to sleep for the day n hit all the aphids at dusk and over nite. I just check around and move any that are asleep in the wrong place before I let the Ant clean up crew in.

Its a system I've been working in the veg patch for years and really works, basically using nature to control the pests. The Ant clean up crew are just part of it all, next its an underground green house, well one that's dug into the ground with a poly tunnel on top as a roof. It means that there's a higher temp throughout the year for growing veg all around + some tropical fruits etc. I had one back in Canada and grew all sorts of fruit n veg in it year round and only had to heat it in the coldest part of the winter, but that's another story.

This is Tiddler my 5 week old Copper Maran Rooster, " Where are the Ant's mum, you promised me Ant's! But you never said I had to hunt them!
I'm going to complain to Burp next time I see him he's been eating to many of the Ant's."

This is Tiddler my 5 week old Copper Maran Rooster, " Where are the Ant's mum, you promised me Ant's! But you never said I had to hunt them!
I'm going to complain to Burp next time I see him he's been eating to many of the Ant's."
yuckyuck.gif

Wow, I love your approach. You really are in harmony. I have enough ants here to sink a boat that is for sure. Many of them are fire-ants...and I have leaf-cutters that will take chicken feed - crumb by crumb and actually wear paths in the dirt.... my chooks won't eat ants.

Your snail idea is nothing short of brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom