Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
I really appreciate you all helping me with this. Here is an eye view of the darker chick. I never realized there could be so much variation. I'm not a breeder... But if I was, what chick traits would be best?

He is a cockerel.

Last edited:
I'm really stunned. I've been bragging how easily sexed Cream Legbars are.

So when selling the males to customers does anyone have tips on what to promote about a dark vs light rooster chick?

I planned on doing Sexlinked Cream legbar rooster over Silver Laced Wyandotte and Delaware. Will this variation of down color mess with the sestability of these chicks?

I'm really stunned. I've been bragging how easily sexed Cream Legbars are.

So when selling the males to customers does anyone have tips on what to promote about a dark vs light rooster chick?

I planned on doing Sexlinked Cream legbar rooster over Silver Laced Wyandotte and Delaware. Will this variation of down color mess with the sestability of these chicks?
Hi Amy.

Cream Legbars have down variation - Here is a chick down photo from Punnett's day back in the day.
k5hXoZirTUr4aQl5NVb6FX6gdt1A0hBmLklGO5JC5mBBRRsvs2D50MPwB5kFRwInP0Xvtok37mp5lGwxeXKlnN9_X4eHMb0q2YCyMjVn6sfNahE1CKoDox7_-W0waEnErAbu4rE

Seeing the eye and noticing a slight lighter ring right next to the eye -- plus the fact tht the white head blotch goes outside the dorsal V makes me think "boy" on your chick.

One of the basics of CL is the chipmunk (think 'wild-type') patterning..... IMO keeping the strong wild-type genetics in place is part of the autosexing

Here is a diagram of what the different chick downs look like by Morejohn

. You want to aim for the diagram on the bottom on your chick down for females -- For males due to the barring gene -- the white headblotch is usually big enough to go out side the the bounds of the dorsal V, the stripes are diffused by the barring genes as well. In my chicks the eye-liner has a ring of light around the eye in the males (teeny tiny, you have to look for it ring)

HTH

ETA diagram credits
from G Victor Morejohn - 1954 - University of California Davis - department of zoology

Last edited:
There is another thread on here called Cream Legbar hybrid and I found these:

These are just screen shots, sorry.

I've read that Cream legbar hens are just like Barred Rocks. So I plan on raising a hen to go with my Blue Copper Marans and having Sexlinked Olive Eggers. Here is screen shot of a Black Copper Marans rooster over a Cream legbar hen:

My goal is to provide a large variety of Sexlink/auto sexing fertile eggs to the growing back yard hobbyists that want to hatch but don't want roosters. This way they'll have gold, gold laced, cream legbar, black, and blue (I have a barred rock for my Blue Copper Marans) hens that'll lay blue, green, brown, and olive. Sounds cool right?!

I know we have had this discussion before but humor me
So far whichever girl is now laying has laid 2 eggs

Both are smaller which I expect for new layers

But the color is more green than blue in person (the photo looks bluer than they are they are sort of pale green with a blue tint)

Both hens hatched from VERY blue eggs will they get bluer with time? If no then I won't be hatching any eggs from at least this girl because I dont want to be perpetuating the green color

Back
Top Bottom