Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
I know my incubator is a cheap one. At the time I bought it I didn't but now I do. I have put a thermometer in to check temp (because that was my first concern) and it was pretty much right on. I haven't checked the humidity yet. Mine (actually it's my 8 year old daughter's Christmas present that I've taken over, lol) doesn't have just one or two reservoirs. You just pour water in different divided spots in the bottom and there is a plastic grate that sits above that the eggs are on.

So my incubator hatches out 42 at a time. Obviously does just fine with my other eggs. What would you suggest, if I bought another? I can't do more than $100.

I had messaged the breeder that I bought my pair from asking what her methods were. She just replied that she was only getting 2 out of 10 eggs to hatch also.
Here is my view FWIW. Probably there are other factors than your incubator -- especially since it is working for you with other eggs. IMO -- perhaps the breeder that you got your CLs from has inbred stock -- meaning that brothers and sisters were paired with brothers and sisters and then those brothers and sisters are paired. 2/10 is a pretty low hatch rate. Seems like a 70% rate would be more normal.

Perhaps if you got some eggs from a different source, the results would be better? Not sure if you are hatching from your own breeding or mostly relying on that person's eggs -- but maybe consider sourcing eggs from elsewhere. If you are hatching from your own chickens then switch out your male with a cockerel that you know for sure is not a close relative of the hens that you have.

old.gif

ETA - I have a couple of Brinsea mini-advance. I stock the incubator with the eggs from only one hen most of the time -- and they hold 7 eggs...so about a week's worth of eggs. That way I know the parents of the chicks that hatch. To me it is important to know the relationships and the results of certain pairings.

LOL when I say two reservoirs -- it would kind of be like the divided spots. I'm really 'small time' -- but that works for me.

Last edited:
The dry hatch that I tried I had the humidity at 45% and 65% At lock down. The air sac was huge. None hatched from that attempt. Here is a picture of one of my eggs. I drew where I prefer my air sacs to be at. I read you always put where the air sac dips down to up.

FYI
I totally was sleepy last night. I took a picture I had already taken and just drew an electronic line on it.... On the wrong end. *sigh* Making myself look silly.

FYI
I totally was sleepy last night. I took a picture I had already taken and just drew an electronic line on it.... On the wrong end. *sigh* Making myself look silly.
Just had a hatch the other day -- and a chick was very successful coming out the wrong end...but what was strange is that the air cell was at the big end. LOL..... chicks can surprise you.

Your eggs have a nice egg shape -- some of mine are totally oval and it is really difficult to tell end from end. ;O)

my 22 week old hen not yet laying

my 23 week old hen and she has been laying for a bit over a week. Sadly she lays mint green eggs so I will not be hatching her eggs :(

my 12 week old Pullet

my 22 week old Rooster

Back
Top Bottom