Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
I have one more pullet who is from a different farm but same lines ( A-C) left to start laying and she hatched from a light blue egg but for sure blue
Maybe that one will lay the color you are looking for!
fl.gif

Could it be the genetics from the breeder's rooster?

So now all 3 of my 22-23 week olds are laying two cream legbars and one Barnevelder
Both legbars lay mint green so sad

I wouldn't dismiss her based on egg color as there is a normal range for the breed, and her offspring will reflect both the hen's genetics as well as the rooster's (as suggested above). Sourcing a rooster is always more difficult, but if you can find one that has sisters which lay the color you want, that will help with the next generation.

Also, the early eggs may have a greener tinge than later in the cycle as the "spray paint" wears off.

the rooster I have is from the same lines as the hens I have (the older two) and he also hatched from a very blue egg The lady I bought them from bred specifically for blue eggs never had a green egg til she bought in some new girls this year (AFTER I bought mine)

I am following the original style of Cream Legbar in that I want blue eggs NOT green eggs, as described here http://www.harislau.info/legbar

I like these girls they are pets but I bought the birds to sell hatching eggs and chicks from and I no way want to perpetuate green eggs so not sur what I am doing now other than eating the eggs

the rooster I have is from the same lines as the hens I have (the older two) and he also hatched from a very blue egg The lady I bought them from bred specifically for blue eggs never had a green egg til she bought in some new girls this year (AFTER I bought mine)

I am following the original style of Cream Legbar in that I want blue eggs NOT green eggs, as described here http://www.harislau.info/legbar

I like these girls they are pets but I bought the birds to sell hatching eggs and chicks from and I no way want to perpetuate green eggs so not sur what I am doing now other than eating the eggs
Written in the Cream Legbar Breed Standard both blue and green eggs are acceptable colors for Cream Legbars to lay. It is all to often that blue is over mentioned in the breed discussion that now people are put off by the greenish egg color. Green and blue/green eggs are very common within the breed and again, accepted. While yes blue is desirable and many many people are trying their best to only produce CL that only lay the bluest eggs I feel it should be remembered that there are other important breed features to focus on when breeding. Just my personal opinion.

they added the color green AFTER the Rees line was created. Green was NOT an original egg color only blue

My focus I intended to have was on pleasant natured birds with good crests that are identifiable as a legbar and lay blue eggs. I went to great lengths to get chicks from blue egg laying parents and avoid any hnt of Rees lines and culled off (sold/gave away) all the chicks who did not make this criteria (ie hen who only had a 2 feather crest and a bright red breast, spastic flighty chicks, too dark, etc.....) It never ocurred to me that these hens would lay green eggs

they added the color green AFTER the Rees line was created. Green was NOT an original egg color only blue

My focus I intended to have was on pleasant natured birds with good crests that are identifiable as a legbar and lay blue eggs. I went to great lengths to get chicks from blue egg laying parents and avoid any hnt of Rees lines and culled off (sold/gave away) all the chicks who did not make this criteria (ie hen who only had a 2 feather crest and a bright red breast, spastic flighty chicks, too dark, etc.....) It never ocurred to me that these hens would lay green eggs

Hi again. If I understand the information correctly -

In as much as you have stock from nice blue eggs, it is possible that the offspring may produce the blue egg that you like.
While the blue color is thought to be controlled by a single gene (ideally one from the hen and one from the rooster), the green component is not a single element but rather a variety of tan/brown tints. Marans breeders probably have a lot of information in that area.

In your case, the parent/rooster contributed the green tinge to his offspring/your layers. Which leads me to believe that while they have a green (tan) influence, it is incomplete. Therefore it is possible that the next generation will not all receive the green tint. I think it is likely that you would see a range of blue to green, especially if you can control for the next rooster.

Perhaps other breeders have noticed that sisters from the same hatch do not necessarily have matching egg colors?

Were you planning to breed closely related birds or bring in a different rooster?

Back
Top Bottom