Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
I have noticed that I have a hen that lays green tinged eggs with tan spots, but they appear bluer on the inside. Her offspring lay bluer eggs than her.

My rooster is sired by the same roo as the older two girls
The lady I got those 3 from only had girls that laid blue eggs at that time and she had kept daughters who were laying
My youngest girl is from a different farm and hatched from a pale blue egg
We will be eating the eggs from the last 10 days tomorrow so will check interior color We did eat the very first egg and it was not blue or green inside but a faintly tinted white

The lady I got those 3 from only had girls that laid blue eggs at that time and she had kept daughters who were laying
We will be eating the eggs from the last 10 days tomorrow so will check interior color We did eat the very first egg and it was not blue or green inside but a faintly tinted white

From cross-breeding, I have noticed some CL seem to have only one blue egg-shell gene. While this may be an anomaly, I have noticed enough differences to think it is worth working with your available stock and then work with the best offspring.

As mentioned by @Bantambird I have seen different interior colors as well. It really stands out in some of the olive eggs, which have a very nice blue interior, while others do not.

The standard breeding advice is to hatch 100 birds and then work with the best offspring. My philosophy is to do small batches and see what the tendency is and make small changes. If I decide to add a new rooster or hen, this is essentially a new line (due to the wide ranging influence of genetics) with unexpected results. Sometimes I get great results, but not necessarily in a way that I targeted. Other times, I have to try a different breeding group altogether.

I've come to think of the variables as part of the attraction, and maybe a pleasant challenge.

hi Diane,

hide.gif
Difficult as it may be to see, as I understand chicken eggshells-- your green eggs have to be blue inside. Yeah, I know, I wasn't there and you were -- and everyone on BYC wants to tell ya that you didn't see what you saw or you don't know what you actually know.
gig.gif

However, and bearing that in mind, if there were no blue shell under the slight tint of brown overlaying it -- it wouldn't be green. The green depends on the blue. Could the shell you looked at have an exceptionally 'thick' inner membrane that when peeled away would reveal the blue shell? -- One of the first blue shells I cracked from my Legbars back in 2012 -- I was pretty interested in comparing the internal blue with the external 'blue' -- When the membrane on that eggshell was dry -- the inside of the shell looked white.

you know better than I do that shells are either white or blue -- and then the hen can put a coating on the outter shell that changes the white or the blue.

Make sense?
hu.gif

We ate a weeks worth of eggs today all the eggs from the older hen are mint green outside white inside
The one egg from the middle girl who just started laying is marginally less mint green slightly blue tinted but still greener than blue and blue tinted inside

We ate a weeks worth of eggs today all the eggs from the older hen are mint green outside white inside
The one egg from the middle girl who just started laying is marginally less mint green slightly blue tinted but still greener than blue and blue tinted inside
Well there you go! - Once we were tracing down a study about the blue eggs of wild birds. It was actually the blue-footed booby. (cool name huh?) -- The researchers discovered that an increase of ingested carotenoids made the eggs bluer. Probably something that only scientific instruments could pick up.

As a result of the study - I tried to increase the beta carotene in the diet of my Legbars for a while to see if I could increase the blue......:O)

Last edited:
The furthest back on has a better neck feather colouring
Also has a better body colour.
May I ask why you have to sell one?
Because if you can keep the 2 I definatly would

The furthest back on has a better neck feather colouring
Also has a better body colour.
May I ask why you have to sell one?
Because if you can keep the 2 I definatly would
The right one? I am going to breed HRIR so I am just keeping one for eggs and possibly crossing with my CL rooster in the future.

Back
Top Bottom