Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
Here's another thought... it would be a pain in the rear end if your incubator couldn't do it automatically, but my incubator instructions says that they found better hatch rates when there was a 'cool down period'.  The objective is to simulate the hen as closely as possible.  -- If my incubator didn't have it as a set up option, I know I would plan for an hour's cool down then forget to warm it up again and have fatal results.    If your incubator has it -- you may want to activate the option. 

Here is what their manual says about it:

[COLOR=0000FF]11. Periodic Incubation Cooling[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Bird breeders have known for many decades that eggs can be cooled for limited periods of time during incubation without causing problems but recent research has shown that hatch rates can increase significantly as a result of cooling.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]This research was carried out with poultry but it is generally accepted that the benefits can apply to waterfowl too.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Cooling is an entirely natural process as most birds will get off the nest at least once a day and leave the eggs unheated for a significant time. From Brinsea’s 35 year experience, the best hatch rates are always achieved when the incubator can best mimic the natural nest conditions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]The precise details of which days and what cooling period each day should be used for best effect are not known but Brinsea
00ae.png
have assessed the available research and recommend the following daily cooling periods from day 7 through to 2 days.

I wanted to let you know that this information did help me.

I had thrown 4 eggs into the incubator. Between a staggered hatch I had started and extremely high humidity in my area, the humidity was very high in the incubator. As an attempt to decrease and circulate more air I would crack my incubator open a little bit but leave it on do the heater and fan were still going. On day 18 the air sacs weren't very big. With previous hatch rate added too small air sacs I want hopeful at all. On day 21 all 4 eggs pipped and unzipped themselves within 24 hours. 2 boys and 2 girls!!! Your information is what gave me the inspiration to take a chance and it worked! Thanks.

I had thrown 4 eggs into the incubator. Between a staggered hatch I had started and extremely high humidity in my area, the humidity was very high in the incubator. As an attempt to decrease and circulate more air I would crack my incubator open a little bit but leave it on do the heater and fan were still going. On day 18 the air sacs weren't very big. With previous hatch rate added too small air sacs I want hopeful at all. On day 21 all 4 eggs pipped and unzipped themselves within 24 hours. 2 boys and 2 girls!!! Your information is what gave me the inspiration to take a chance and it worked! Thanks.[/quote]

This is what I was young to attach to your quote.

I had thrown 4 eggs into the incubator. Between a staggered hatch I had started and extremely high humidity in my area, the humidity was very high in the incubator. As an attempt to decrease and circulate more air I would crack my incubator open a little bit but leave it on do the heater and fan were still going. On day 18 the air sacs weren't very big. With previous hatch rate added too small air sacs I want hopeful at all. On day 21 all 4 eggs pipped and unzipped themselves within 24 hours. 2 boys and 2 girls!!! Your information is what gave me the inspiration to take a chance and it worked! Thanks.

This is what I was young to attach to your quote.[/QUOTE]
Congratulations on your success!! It could be that opening it up would cause the thermostat to pump out extra heat to compensate - but all's well that ends well. 4 out of 4 is a great success rate.
yesss.gif

Hi all
I had an "accident" chick of a pekin bantam(Cochin bantam)
Crossed with a cream legbar rooster.
Does anyone know what the chick will grow up to be.
It had cream legbar brown Line on its back but has a yellow body.
It also has feathered legs

Last edited:
Hi all

If the brown line has racing stripes (not just a single diffused line) and the eyes have eyeliner, I would think white pullet with some barring? Do you have pictures to post?

Hi all

What color is the Cochin hen?

Back
Top Bottom