Cream Legbar Pictures

Hello BYCers. I'm new on here and this is my first post, along with being a first time chicken owner. So, please go easy on me if this is a dumb question. Lol. So, what is wrong with the Rees line of CL? Just curious cause I have four, second generation, Rees line pullets.
These are no perfect chickens. I started working with Legbar in 2011 and my mentor was a lady in the UK that had been breeding a really good line of Cream Legbars for 6 years that she got from another breeder that had been breeding the line for 6 years before it was passed to her. She told me that every year she would pull out the breed standard and read it with her birds in front of her to try to see what area her birds need to be improved. She said that with each passing year she became more and more convinced that she had never seen a Legbar that meets the breed standard and never would. So...while there are not perfect chickens then are some Cream Legbars that are pretty good and the Rees line produces a lot of them.

So why doesn't the Rees Line meet the breed standard? Well A few things to consider are 1) the Breed standard calls for moderately long legs. Many people have noted that the Rees line tends to have dumpy legs which are moderately short rather than moderately long. 2) The British standard list a twisted comb on the cockerel and a serious defect. The Rees line was developed to produce Show Quality pullets and Hens to the detriment of the show qualities of the cockerels and cocks. When Jill Rees started to show Cream Legbars in the UK after 4 years of breeding her pullets and hens were winning national championships but she was not showing any males. Her line was producing males that had twisted combs. After winning the top awards with her hens for a few years she did start to work on her males and has since produced some winning males too but the import of her line to the USA was before she produced any winning males and the USA Rees line still struggles with twisted combs on the males. 3) While not incorrect per the breed standard the Ree line in the USA is reported to produce greener eggs than many desire. The British standard list blue, green, or olive eggs for the Cream Legbar but sentiment of breeders in the USA is that a blue egg is the high quality for the Cream Legbar Green eggs are something that should be worked away from and olive eggs should only be produced by Isbars and are a culling point in the Cream Legbar. Production is also a consideration. Other lines may be more prolific than the Rees line (or less prolific depending on their breeding). Everyone has their own preferences for the breed so some love the Rees line. Some don't.

So...those are a few things to thing about. Every line of Cream Legbars has something "wrong" with it. The Rees line was imported because it was a huge improvement over earlier lines that were imported. It takes 3-5 years for breeders to create though own reliable breeding lines so many breeders that had been working with and improving the earlier lines for 3+ years when the Rees line was imported were not interested in it because they felt they would have to start over with their breeding if they brought outside blood into their flock. Other that had older flocks when the Rees line was imported used it to address weaknesses in their flock.

how do these girls look?
Yep...great looking girls. Great depth to their body, great tails, great combs, great ear lobes, great crests. The legs look a little short though. The back also looks short and doesn't show the straight line with the downward slope. I like a lighter crest color that has more cream on it to match the cream on the hackles. I also don't like the black lacing on the breast feathers.

Get some longer backs and longer legs and your hens will be built to start laying at 4-1/2 months. :)

Well...not promises on the laying and there really is nothing wrong with them starting to lay later if it means they are developing capacity to lay larger eggs than hens that start laying earlier. :)

Last edited:
so what should i look for in a rooster to improve them?

The back is where the framework of the chicken all starts. I would pair you hens with a cockerel with a long downward sloping back.

This is an illustration of English Standard Leghorns, Black Miorca, and English Standard Brown Leghorn. The English Leghorns is the body shape I am looking for in the Cream Legbar. The Proposed APA Standard has a fanned tail rather than the tail coming to a point like the English Leghorn but everything else is about the same. You can't see the Male Leghorn's backs in this illistration but you can see the Miorcas males's back. It is a straight line from the profile with no curve. It has a sharp angle at the junction on the tail which is NOT correct for the Cream Legbar. We want that downward loping back but a smooth transition into the tail.

Here is another illustration of an English Standard white leghorn. It shows the smooth transition from the back to the tail without any sharp angles. This illustration also shows the moderately long legs where as the buff and brown leghorns above show the dumpy or moderately short legs.
smile.png

This guy isn't the best example, but shows the type of back line that I would look for.

here's a cockerel for you. I'm slightly above him, so that affects how his legs look but I assure you they are nice and long

thanks guys. im not sold on the birds yet. i mainly raise cubalayas and asils. my wife wanted some blue egg layers and i was unable to get the blue ameraucanas that she wanted. these were gifted to me and if they lay some blue eggs and survive the winter, i will get a cock for them. will look for the downward sloping back and long legs. what about color? are these roosters pictured the good color? since these are rees hens should i look for a different line?

My cockerels are, alas, more crele than cream I am afraid. I have good points for a lot on my boys but unfortunately color isn't my strong suit.

Hello BYCers. I'm new on here and this is my first post, along with being a first time chicken owner. So, please go easy on me if this is a dumb question. Lol. So, what is wrong with the Rees line of CL? Just curious cause I have four, second generation, Rees line pullets.

Welcome to BYC and all things chickens! And Best of ALL - the Cream Legbars !!

I wouldn't say there is anything specifically wrong with the Rees line. Each line has it's own set of characteristics to work on, Rees or otherwise. Even if you get chicks from well established lines that have been bred to the Standard of Perfection, your pairings might not produce the same outcome in the first generation or even the third generation. Your line will have new elements to consider.

I started out 4 years ago with the CL, and the more I do the more I see, and the more I want to accomplish. While it is a challenge, I am told that very knowledgeable breeders find it interesting as well.

Back
Top Bottom