Cream Legbar Pictures

I'm planning on building some new pens for spring. I've got I think 3 cockerels from the spring that I'm keeping, and then there are 3 from ralphie. My initial plan is to run his c line cockerels with my ab hens, then cross back to my ab cocks the following year since I honestly haven't seen much cream in my flock. Excellent crele, great barring, as mentioned, but no cream as based on markers listed by other breeders. Ralphie was so kind as to provide me a very cream cockerel that Esther ( my young assistant) has named Eli, and he will bring the cream to my flock. Likely I will be running all the hens with Eli at least once just so I can see what I get, then, depending upon Eli's brothers, I will see what they produce. Should I also keep a pure ab line as well?

Last edited:
How are my girls looking? The first is almost 6 months and the second is 6 weekish.

How are my girls looking? The first is almost 6 months and the second is 6 weekish.

The CL club is having an on-line show, you might consider entering the hen/pullet in the second pic. She has lovely color and type, great tail angle.

Anyone else that would like to put their stock up against a wide range of CL breeders/enthusiasts, please enter your best birds. It is helpful if you take the pictures at eye-level, for example on a table or other arrangement that your birds are comfortable with. The birds should be photographed and entries submitted between Nov. 2nd and December 15th. I believe an APA judge will be reviewing the submittals and final results will be posted in the beginning of 2017. PM me if you would like more info.

I'm planning on building some new pens for spring. I've got I think 3 cockerels from the spring that I'm keeping, and then there are 3 from ralphie. My initial plan is to run his c line cockerels with my ab hens, then cross back to my ab cocks the following year since I honestly haven't seen much cream in my flock. Excellent crele, great barring, as mentioned, but no cream as based on markers listed by other breeders. Ralphie was so kind as to provide me a very cream cockerel that Esther ( my young assistant) has named Eli, and he will bring the cream to my flock. Likely I will be running all the hens with Eli at least once just so I can see what I get, then, depending upon Eli's brothers, I will see what they produce. Should I also keep a pure ab line as well?

If you have room for more breeding groups, it seems helpful to both outcross the lines (abc) as well as keep some separate (just ab). Ultimately the results of your breeding groups are going to dictate your next step. I have been trying to setup breeding groups that are as unrelated as possible, but others may have a different opinion on that.

It sounds like you have a nice range of cockerels to choose from. All things being equal, don't "cull" a cockerel just because it is crele/gold. Once you have cream in your flock, you can work that out. Plus the CL club is working on a standard for the Golden Crele plus the White sports. I find it helpful to have more roosters to choose from, and sometimes the choices look better with age or the next generation of pullets.

is 2 hens enough for 1 rooster? i keep my cubalayas in trios and my asils in pairs. or is this a breed where the rooster needs 10 or more hens?

A Trio or Quad is okay for breeding groups if the rooster is not too aggressive. Generally my CL have been fine, but if the hens can't get away (out of sight out of mind, etc) in some cases it can be a problem.

More likely to be a problem early on with a young cockerel, especially if he is competing with other males in the same flock or nearby. All in all, the majority of my CL roosters have been good with the hens and people.

They are also attentive with a large number of hens & make good foragers. Some do well when other males are introduced to the flock as chicks, if the coop is big enough and they get out to free-range.

Back
Top Bottom