Cream Legbar Pictures

Yes...I do have light crested hens.

I still have 6 pullets left from the 30 that we started with in the grow out pens this spring. Two of them have the black crest. I was going to put them in a breeding trio for a special needs FFA student that is a Sophomore in High School with and impressive resume as a successful exhibitor. She was supposed to get the Trio the week before Thanksgiving but they are still hear so I may see what they produce in the spring if things fall through with the FFA family. Three of the other four have the light cream crest and one (who is possibly split for gold) has the carmel colored crest. We will see how these light colored crested pullet do with my cock in the spring. As far as tells in the cockerel for crest color I have some ideas but haven't tracked very much in this area yet White ear lobes are probably going to be my biggest priority next year so I may not do much with the crest colors in the next grow out group but color is something that I am starting to work on not that crests are getting close to where they need to be as are tail angles, back lines, etc. :)

Yes...I do have light crested hens.

I still have 6 pullets left from the 30 that we started with in the grow out pens this spring. Two of them have the black crest. I was going to put them in a breeding trio for a special needs FFA student that is a Sophomore in High School with and impressive resume as a successful exhibitor. She was supposed to get the Trio the week before Thanksgiving but they are still hear so I may see what they produce in the spring if things fall through with the FFA family. Three of the other four have the light cream crest and one (who is possibly split for gold) has the carmel colored crest. We will see how these light colored crested pullet do with my cock in the spring. As far as tells in the cockerel for crest color I have some ideas but haven't tracked very much in this area yet White ear lobes are probably going to be my biggest priority next year so I may not do much with the crest colors in the next grow out group but color is something that I am starting to work on not that crests are getting close to where they need to be as are tail angles, back lines, etc. :)

Right?! It's the gift that keeps on giving...long term chicken therapy =)

On another element - what are your thoughts on the feather shafting seen in the CL?

There was some discussion on shafting when the First Draft of the SOP was being explored by the Cream Legbar Working Group. Basically the information that we go from the UK judges was that less shafting is better but that it probably isn't possible to get rid of all the shafting. The black crested hen in the example above has a lot of

Here are some other examples from earlier in this thread that show less shafting on the back. On the breast in another problem area for shafting on it can take the form of white, black, or red quills. any quill color that is different than the color of the rest of the feather is shafting and considered a general color defect.

I'm getting these on sunday and am 99.9% sure they are CL roos but i have not seen they in real life they are advertised are plymoth rocks but have the wrong coloring to be them so i look up roos and to me they look the same as CL's. Any ideas

They look closer to a Plymouth rock than a Legbar to me.

Legbars have white ear lobes and Plymouth Rocks have red ear lobes. These have red ear lobes.

Legbars have a downard sloping back Plymouth rocks have a saddle shape if I remember correcly (???). These backs look closer to a Plymouth Rock.

Cream Legbars are a crested breed. Plymouth rocks are non-crested. They birds are non crested.

These are NOT Show quality Plymouth Rocks and probablly are mixes (possibly with the reds that they are being housed with). They have a lot of red color in them whihc is not consistent with the breed standard for the Plymouth rock.

So I have looked around and found out they are CL barred rock mixes but if I'm to breed them with CL hens what will I get?
You will get "experimental" CL's. They will be 3/4th Cream Legbar Blood and 1/4th Barred Rock. if you breed a cockerel from the 3/4 blood back to a pure Cream Legbar your will get 7/8 blood Cream Legbar. About every livestock registry out there will accept an animal as pure bread as long as it have 7/8 blood of a breed and has parents and grandparent that meet the standards (i.e. downward sloping back, full crest, white ear lobes, blue eggs, cream plumage, etc.)

So the offspring will be CL barred rock mixes until the flock is bred back to the standard. Fixing Cream Plumage, Crests, etc. is something that could that 3-5 generations.

Back
Top Bottom