Cream Legbars

honeyb711

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2016
QLD Australia
I hate to ask the question, but I am looking at getting these 2, & have been told they are both pullets, yet after doing alot of reading the older of the 2 appears to be a roo?

Could someone with more experience than me please help me out? Are they both girls, or one of each?

Also, before I go ahead & pick them up, those of you with the breed, how do you find their temperament? They will eventually be living with 3 adult silkie hens, 1 adult (disabled) silkie roo, 2 other adult hens that I was told were Silkie/Australorp mixes. Will the Cream Legbars be a good fit for the silkies as they grow? They are currently with a silkie hen where they are at.

I also have one lone silkie chick, 2wks old currently with Mum. Should I see if she will accept the new chicks, or would I be best having the 3 chicks together & allowing Mum to rejoin the rest of the flock?

Attachments

• IMG_20240403_191223.jpg
    IMG_20240403_191223.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 43
I'm not sure they are purebred Legbars. The one on the right has darker legs than I'd expect, and can't really see the legs on the other. I dunno, hard to tell at this age and with these sort of blurry pictures. Much easier to sex newborn chicks with this breed.

If you decide to buy them, the hen may or may not accept the new chicks. You can try. Also remember that these chicks will not be imprinted on the hen, so it could take them a while to get used to her as well. If it doesn't work out, I'd leave the baby with its mom and raise the other two in a brooder, introducing them slowly when they are old enough to go outside.

The flock should get on fine so long as the chicks are still young when they are introduced. They'll be bullied but everything should settle down after that. Legbars are generally easy going in temperament, but individuals can vary a great deal, as with any other breed.

I'm not sure they are purebred Legbars. The one on the right has darker legs than I'd expect, and can't really see the legs on the other. I dunno, hard to tell at this age and with these sort of blurry pictures. Much easier to sex newborn chicks with this breed.

If you decide to buy them, the hen may or may not accept the new chicks. You can try. Also remember that these chicks will not be imprinted on the hen, so it could take them a while to get used to her as well. If it doesn't work out, I'd leave the baby with its mom and raise the other two in a brooder, introducing them slowly when they are old enough to go outside.

The flock should get on fine so long as the chicks are still young when they are introduced. They'll be bullied but everything should settle down after that. Legbars are generally easy going in temperament, but individuals can vary a great deal, as with any other breed.
Ok sorry for the poor quality pic, I had just asked her to take one for me & this was what she sent. I was told they are Cream Legbars, I'm not sure why she would lie 🤔 I wasn't looking for anything in particular 🤷🏻‍♀️ But the pic might be abit deceiving because their legs are a pale yellow, the rooster has the same colour legs (the mother was killed by a dog a month ago, hence why a silkie hatched them, so I didn't see her)

As for the flock, I have a broody who killed a 2wk old silkie chick a few days ago 😞 So I am entirely unsure about ever merging the older hens with the babies....which was why I was considering getting a couple more chicks, just for the one lone chick I have so it has company once Mum is done.

I might just leave it all as is though I think. Mum can just stay with her chick so it not alone, & when she is next broody I might just let her hatch again.

Thanks for replying 🙂

I hate to ask the question, but I am looking at getting these 2, & have been told they are both pullets, yet after doing alot of reading the older of the 2 appears to be a roo?

Could someone with more experience than me please help me out? Are they both girls, or one of each?

Also, before I go ahead & pick them up, those of you with the breed, how do you find their temperament? They will eventually be living with 3 adult silkie hens, 1 adult (disabled) silkie roo, 2 other adult hens that I was told were Silkie/Australorp mixes. Will the Cream Legbars be a good fit for the silkies as they grow? They are currently with a silkie hen where they are at.

I also have one lone silkie chick, 2wks old currently with Mum. Should I see if she will accept the new chicks, or would I be best having the 3 chicks together & allowing Mum to rejoin the rest of the flock?
Hello :) sharing a pic of one of our cream legbars at 3 weeks in case helpful… very consistent with the pics you have too…hatched from hatching eggs from what I believe to be a reputable place. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4132.jpeg
    IMG_4132.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 15
Hello :) sharing a pic of one of our cream legbars at 3 weeks in case helpful… very consistent with the pics you have too…hatched from hatching eggs from what I believe to be a reputable place. Hope this helps.
Thank you x What a cutie ❤️ Yes, this is the colour of their legs, the pic I was sent is just abit dark.

Im still undecided if I will get these 2 or if I just let Mum hatch some more next time she is broody....& hope we don't get all roos 🙃

Thank you x What a cutie ❤️ Yes, this is the colour of their legs, the pic I was sent is just abit dark.

Im still undecided if I will get these 2 or if I just let Mum hatch some more next time she is broody....& hope we don't get all roos 🙃
The struggle is real right!!! We had 7 in 10 last year! So this year when we expanded our flock I thought we’ll pop more eggs in and now have ended up with 11 pullets and small number of roo’s… still working on hubby to keep them all of course ;-) good luck with it all!

Back
Top Bottom