CREATE YOUR OWN BREED OF CHICKEN

Hi GaryDean, Well, Unlike you, I don't know what I am doing with all of the particulars with chicken breeding but, I have been having fun for the last three years doing it! LOL!

[GD26] Having fun is how you learn. I ate up the genetics that we studied in my high school biology class. It was about the neatest thing in the world to me. Chickens are my hobby and a way to continue my fascination with genetics. :)

Last edited:
My friend that lives in town has some BLR Wyandotte's, but what I'm interested in doing is BLR polish (purebred polish, no other breeds mixed in)

WELL!!! LOL!! WHAT THE HECK ARE YA WAITING FOR! People out in chicken land would love to see them! Me included but, it

takes awhile to accomplish and... I'M NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER! Sooo, I would appreciate some expediency here! ROFL!!

(Why in the heck-ll can't I get the little laughing icon guy down here at the end of the sentence where I want it??? It keeps coming out on top and won't copy and paste to here. aauughh!) This is funny to isn't it.. hmm.

WELL!!!   LOL!!   WHAT THE H​ECK ARE YA WAITING FOR!   People out in chicken land would love to see them!  Me included but, it

takes awhile to accomplish and...  I'M NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER!    Sooo,  I would appreciate some expediency here!  ROFL!!

(Why in the heck-ll can't I get the little laughing icon guy down here at the end of the sentence where I want it???   It keeps coming out on top and  won't copy and paste to here.  aauughh!)    This is funny to isn't it.. hmm. 
:p :D yes, I know! I really wish I could do it now, but we live in the city (no roosters allowed, ugh. But I have one anyways, shhh). Anyways, I plan on moving out to the country and getting this project going. For now I can only dream... Lol

tongue.png
big_smile.png
yes, I know! I really wish I could do it now, but we live in the city (no roosters allowed, ugh. But I have one anyways, shhh). Anyways, I plan on moving out to the country and getting this project going. For now I can only dream... Lol
Now that's the spirit! Nothing wrong with dreaming and having a plan. Everything you see around you, every single little thing had it's origin in the mind, in the thought and desire of someone, something or the universal power. Nothing has a birth without a "thought dream" and a desire to bring it "from the other side" into this side of reality. Don't let your dream go. Like Gary Dean mentioned, the destination/goal is important because it gives form and direction to the journey. However, the journey itself and how you conduct yourself on it, determines the quality of not only the journey but the final result too!
Ok, I stillll can't get those darn little animated icons to go where I want them to!! What am I doing wrong? (Frustrating bump in the road of my little yellow icon journey....) ROFL!

Yes...we stopped. The more that we learned about chicken breeding and management the more we were convinced that if we wanted to have a flock that produced uniform highly productive chickens that we need to go to a single breed flock. We got rid of all of our breeding projects and all but one breed.

I wonder if we made the right decision though. We choose the Cream Legbars since we felt that is the breed that we could contribute to the most with out efforts. I however saw a friend post an add for a show quality Blue Silkie cockerel last week and saw another breeder in the same area offering Black Cochin pullets. I was really tempted to forget about the established breeds and work on this project for several years. :)

Ya..she was a rough draft. She doesn't have the blue ear lobes but some of her siblings were getting them. She also doesn't have the vulture hocks and feathered feet which really adds a lot to the look. Her lacing has some smudgy spots that could be improved but we were actually quite happy with her color. We like the really light ground color with the really dark lacing. She was a white egg layer. We though an all blue birds (plumage, feet, ear lobes) that laid a blue egg would be perfect. We were going to call then Texas Bluebonnets since they were a blue crested bird and were being developed in Marble Falls, Texas which is the Blue Bonnet capital of the world. We live in Oklahoma now, but if were were to work on them again I think I would still call them Texas Blue Bonnets. :) Yes...the cockerels were coming out about a good as the pullets.

Just for reference this is the Father of the hen above.

Here is the mother of the hen above.

what breed is the mother?

The mother was breed from Cochin, Silkie, and Leghorn.

I have a hen very similar to that one. she is a good layer of small tinted eggs and a good mother. as she was a gift I don't know what breed she is. but as she is a very good layer I believe she is a leghorn cross. her feet are feathered too.

Our hen liked to go broody. With Silkie and Cochin in her that was not suprise. She was not a good mother though. She was an outstanding layer though. Every month that she wasn't broody she was out top layer in the flock. Her eggs were really big. 55-60 grams? Yes they were white.

I've been want to cross an Russian orloff with a road island red but can't seem to get a picture in my head of what it might look like, any ideas

Back
Top Bottom