Creating Easter Eggers with Salmon Faverolles question

juci

Chirping
Feb 9, 2023
Hi everyone! I don’t have much experience breeding chickens yet, I’m just getting started. But I was wondering about the genetics of Easter eggers. Im hoping to get into breeding salmon faverolles as soon as I can get some chicks I like. I have 3 whittings true blue female chicks that I’m planning to eventually put into the pen with the salmon faverolles so I can make Easter eggers. Where I live there’s a market for EE chicks as well as olive eggers.

So am I right in thinking that the eggs I hatch from the Whittings hens x faverolle rooster will be Easter eggers? Meaning they could lay shades of blue, green, and tan? Or would these offspring always lay eggs that are some shade of green?

From what I understand olive eggers require a dark brown egg layer and a homozygous blue egg gene, to produce female offspring that would be guaranteed to lay a green egg.

Will dark brown egger x blue egger give different results than light tan (like salmon faverolle) egger x blue egger?

Also I feel like I frequently hear about Easter eggers from hatcheries being faverolle based, or having faverolle in their background. If that’s true is there some reason why faverolles are often used to create Easter eggers, when there are other breeds that lay a light brown egg?

Thank you in advance for any help!

So am I right in thinking that the eggs I hatch from the Whittings hens x faverolle rooster will be Easter eggers? Meaning they could lay shades of blue, green, and tan? Or would these offspring always lay eggs that are some shade of green?
Those would be easter eggers. The first generation cross should lay only green eggs, since the Whittings should carry two blue egg genes. If you crossed those birds to a non blue egg layer or a bird carrying only one blue egg gene, then you would start to see tan eggs.

Will dark brown egger x blue egger give different results than light tan (like salmon faverolle) egger x blue egger?
Yes, the eggs produced by the offspring would be olive eggs instead of the green from the faverolles cross. The darkness of the olive egger would depend on the how many brown egg genes the parent had. I have also read that some of the brown egg genes are sex-linked, so crossing a dark egg rooster to a blue egg hen should result in darker olive eggs, @nicalandia I believe knows more about this.

Also I feel like I frequently hear about Easter eggers from hatcheries being faverolle based, or having faverolle in their background. If that’s true is there some reason why faverolles are often used to create Easter eggers, when there are other breeds that lay a light brown egg?
Those are Green Queens, a hybrid produced by at least Meyer Hatchery. I wouldn't say that easter eggers are frequently faverolles based, but all of the easter eggers that we get are the typical Ameruacana based easter eggers. My guess would be that the faverolles were added into some easter egger lines since they add unique genes like the feathered legs and five toes. That cross was likely made at the same time that the favacaunas were bred, since they were popular for a time.

Those would be easter eggers. The first generation cross should lay only green eggs, since the Whittings should carry two blue egg genes. If you crossed those birds to a non blue egg layer or a bird carrying only one blue egg gene, then you would start to see tan eggs.

Yes, the eggs produced by the offspring would be olive eggs instead of the green from the faverolles cross. The darkness of the olive egger would depend on the how many brown egg genes the parent had. I have also read that some of the brown egg genes are sex-linked, so crossing a dark egg rooster to a blue egg hen should result in darker olive eggs, @nicalandia I believe knows more about this.

Those are Green Queens, a hybrid produced by at least Meyer Hatchery. I wouldn't say that easter eggers are frequently faverolles based, but all of the easter eggers that we get are the typical Ameruacana based easter eggers. My guess would be that the faverolles were added into some easter egger lines since they add unique genes like the feathered legs and five toes. That cross was likely made at the same time that the favacaunas were bred, since they were popular for a time.

Thank you so much for all the info!
I was really confused about olive eggers needing a dark brown egg if any brown egg breed could contribute to greenish eggs. So it’s the darker shade of green that people are looking for with olive eggers. The offspring from a whittings true blue x faverolle would be a green egger, not an olive egger.
Thank you for clearing that up! 😊

If you crack open a dark brown egg, it is light brown on the inside and dark brown on the outside. The dark brown is a coating that the bird adds to the outside of the egg. Sometimes I can scratch bits off. In the case of the green egg it is blue on the inside, but green on the outside and am thinking that it is also a coating although I have not been able to scratch it off as sometimes I can scratch flakes off on a Maran's egg.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to come up with a purple egg? I'm thinking crossing a Salmon Faverolle with a Cream Legbar or an Ameraucana. Anyone do it another way?

Howdy! All good info. Have a similar case.

4x salmon Faverolle x acucruna hen.
2x beared red hens, (green)
1x black EE x BCM (hatched from green egg of one of the red hens)

Want more of the Faverolle looks and color variations in flock but with colored eggs.

Would it be best to put a
Black Copper Maran roo,
beared EE Roo, (,hatched from green egg) or an
salmon faverolle x EE roo from a different breeder.

Attachments

• 20240113_190931.jpg
    20240113_190931.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240113_190218.jpg
    20240113_190218.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240113_185515.jpg
    20240113_185515.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20240321-WA0062.jpg
    IMG-20240321-WA0062.jpg