How can I "make" an olive egger?

Mar 8, 2024
Hi I was just curious about how I could get olive eggs, I heard that you can cross a brown layer with a blue layer and you get an olive egger, but last year my sapphire gem roo bred with my easter egger hen and their daughter just lays easter egger light blue eggs, not olive eggs. Does anyone know why this happened? Was it because my rooster wasn't a pure breed?
And how I could get darker olive eggs instead of light ones? Does anyone have any favorite breeds to combine in order to get an olive egger?
I'll list my breeds here and the gender and if you could let me know what ones I could cross to get olive eggs that would be great!🙂

Thank you in advance!

I mean, that is how you do it. Perhaps whatever a sapphire gem is it isn’t homozygous for blue egg gene, so it didn’t pass it on to all offspring?

Blue egg layer to a brown egg layer. That simple. You want darker olive, use darker brown egg layer like Marans.

While technically brown egg layer crossed to blue egg layer is the correct combination to make an olive egger, it is also the same combination to make a green egg layer.

Typically, if you cross a normal brown egg layer to a blue egg layer, you will get what would be considered a green egg layer in my opinion. To get olive eggs, you would need to use a dark brown egg layer. This is because the brown color on the egg shell is controlled by many genes, so the more brown color genes you have, the darker the brown coating will be. On a white egg, that would be dark brown and on a blue egg, it would be olive.

If you're wanting to achieve darker olive eggs, the cross you'll need is dark brown layer to blue or green layer. The most common breeds for this are Copper Marans and Welsumers, though Barnevelders and any other Marans variety would also work.

I do want to add that I much prefer very dark olive eggs, so I am a bit biased towards that coloration over the lighter olive coloring sometimes seen. Really it's all a matter of personal opinion and what you were wanting to achieve in your flock.

While technically brown egg layer crossed to blue egg layer is the correct combination to make an olive egger, it is also the same combination to make a green egg layer.

Typically, if you cross a normal brown egg layer to a blue egg layer, you will get what would be considered a green egg layer in my opinion. To get olive eggs, you would need to use a dark brown egg layer. This is because the brown color on the egg shell is controlled by many genes, so the more brown color genes you have, the darker the brown coating will be. On a white egg, that would be dark brown and on a blue egg, it would be olive.

If you're wanting to achieve darker olive eggs, the cross you'll need is dark brown layer to blue or green layer. The most common breeds for this are Copper Marans and Welsumers, though Barnevelders and any other Marans variety would also work.

I do want to add that I much prefer very dark olive eggs, so I am a bit biased towards that coloration over the lighter olive coloring sometimes seen. Really it's all a matter of personal opinion and what you were wanting to achieve in your flock.
Thank you! Is there a difference if I cross a male maran over a female easter egger vs. a female maran and a male easter egger?

I mean, that is how you do it. Perhaps whatever a sapphire gem is it isn’t homozygous for blue egg gene, so it didn’t pass it on to all offspring?

Blue egg layer to a brown egg layer. That simple. You want darker olive, use darker brown egg layer like Marans.
yes, he only passed it down to one and she lays the same color as her mom which is kindof a turqoiuse hue.

Thank you! Is there a difference if I cross a male maran over a female easter egger vs. a female maran and a male easter egger?
As @Rose Quartz mentioned, and from what I've read as well, some of the genes that add the brown shell pigment are sex-linked. That means that if you have a rooster with the dark dark brown egg genes, then he will pass them to both his sons and daughters, resulting in pullets that lay darker eggs. If the hen is the dark brown layer, then she will only pass the sex-linked genes to her sons, so the pullets will not lay as dark of eggs. Because of this, the best results typically come from a male Marans over a female Easter Egger.

Now how many of the genes are sex-linked or if there is a noticeable difference, I couldn't tell you. If all you were able to get was female Marans and male Easter Eggers, then I would say still go for it. I've read somewhere that there are an estimated 13 genes that effect brown shell pigment and only a few are sex-linked, so you're still going to get olive eggers that way. The resulting hens are only going to be lacking a few brown egg genes.

Any pics of the Easter egger eggs? Or of the offspring?
Yes, but not of the egg. The egg that the chick hatched out of was this color (ps not my pic) and now the baby herself lays that color.
1712421011124.png

Here is their baby, Little Debbie. She absolutely sucks as she is skittish and gives me the evil eye all the time.
1712421109011.png

This isn't the most recent pic, she has grown quite a bit since the pic was taken in October. I find it weird how she doesn't have fluffy cheeks.

As @Rose Quartz mentioned, and from what I've read as well, some of the genes that add the brown shell pigment are sex-linked. That means that if you have a rooster with the dark dark brown egg genes, then he will pass them to both his sons and daughters, resulting in pullets that lay darker eggs. If the hen is the dark brown layer, then she will only pass the sex-linked genes to her sons, so the pullets will not lay as dark of eggs. Because of this, the best results typically come from a male Marans over a female Easter Egger.

Now how many of the genes are sex-linked or if there is a noticeable difference, I couldn't tell you. If all you were able to get was female Marans and male Easter Eggers, then I would say still go for it. I've read somewhere that there are an estimated 13 genes that effect brown shell pigment and only a few are sex-linked, so you're still going to get olive eggers that way. The resulting hens are only going to be lacking a few brown egg genes.
Oh I see! But instead of doing easter eggers could I cross him with another blue layer such as a cream legbar? I just want to know what two breeds that they are made up of just in case I want to sell some and want to be able to tell people what mixes they are of.

Back
Top Bottom