Crele color question

It looks like single barred on wild-type. It looks a bit like a cockerel, in which case it needs a cross back to a similarly colored pullet to get some double barred roos.

Okay have no idea what is I think it has Maran in it because my chicken breeder had an accident some chickens got out and this brid hatch all she she breeds is Marns Orphington's and brahmas of all different kinds of colors but she does not have this color so this did was quite a surprise
1f602.png

So if I were to breed a cuckoo roo to a partridge hen would it then produce the possibility of crele or barred partridge pullets?

So if I were to breed a cuckoo roo to a partridge hen would it then produce the possibility of crele or barred partridge pullets?

No.
A partridge hen is partridge based.
A cuckoo rooster is extended black based.
Extended black is dominate to partridge so all chicks would have one partridge gene and one extended black gene. They would show extended black. All chicks would be cuckoo if the rooster carries two cuckoo genes. If he only has one cuckoo gene half would be black and half cuckoo.
All chicks would carry partridge so if they were bred together you would get 25% partridge. Depending on how many cuckoo genes rooster has would determine what percentage of chicks would be cuckoo which would determine which ones would need to be used and what percentage of their chicks would be cuckoo.
You could also breed a cuckoo cockerel back to the mother and that would give you half partridge and half black. The cockerel would have one cuckoo gene so half chicks would be cuckoo.
Most likely the chicks would have leakage. Cockerels would have more leakage then pullets.

Last edited:
So how do they get the barring gene on patrdige to make crele? I'm pretty interested because the one person within driving distance of me doesn't know if they will be hatching more crele chicks. Either way I'm going to buy partridge since it's one of my favorite colors.

And what happens if you breed a Crele roo to a Cuckoo hen?

Still dealing with all chicks being black in first generation because of the cuckoo hen being extended black based. Barring or cuckoo would work the same way as barring does. All chicks would be barred because both parents carry barring.

I found this on feathersite about wyandotte, am I right to assume it would work the same for Orpington? I wish I had room to just get all of them lol. The small amount of poultry I will have (around 10) is my reward for putting up with the "army life" my husband got us into.

"Golden Creles can be produced by mating a Partridge male to cuckoo females, then breeding the best pullets back to their Partridge father. Silver crele is less attractive, but can be bred by using a Silver Pencilled male in place of the Partridge outlined above."

I found this on feathersite about wyandotte, am I right to assume it would work the same for Orpington? I wish I had room to just get all of them lol. The small amount of poultry I will have (around 10) is my reward for putting up with the "army life" my husband got us into.

"Golden Creles can be produced by mating a Partridge male to cuckoo females, then breeding the best pullets back to their Partridge father. Silver crele is less attractive, but can be bred by using a Silver Pencilled male in place of the Partridge outlined above."

No thats wrong.
In that pairing only the hen is barred. She will pass that to the cockerels but not to the pullets. Barring and cuckoo is sex linked. Pullets can only get barring from their fathers and that rooster isnt barred.
You will end up breeding non barred pullets to a non barred rooster so none will be barred.

No thats wrong.
In that pairing only the hen is barred. She will pass that to the cockerels but not to the pullets. Barring and cuckoo is sex linked. Pullets can only get barring from their fathers and that rooster isnt barred.
You will end up breeding non barred pullets to a non barred rooster so none will be barred.

So how do they get the barring on Crele?

Back
Top Bottom