crele ???

priszilla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
easley sc
so how is that wonderful gorgeous color created? and keep it simple enough for a no nothing genetics person to understand please

My barred EE roo is the result of a blue barred NN crossed with and EE. He's not really a true crele, but rather a silver duckwing with barring. If I were to breed him to my partridge girls, they would produce crele babies. Crele is essentially the black breasted red color pattern with barring.

Last edited:
The best thing to do is tell us what you want to try and make with the crele pattern. Some breeds would be eacier than others.

I have been developing an exhibition line of Crele old english large fowl for the last 5 years, but that was a rather easy start, as it would be with any game breed.
I also played around with Barnvelder x Maran and got some pretty nice Crele Marans.

I personally think that crele is the most striking color pattern there is, but only in certain breeds.

Bob

I love crele. I would absolutely love to have some Crele Penedesencas and OEGB. I only have BBR and fawn OEGB right now and no room for the Penedesencas.
sad.png

pen3008.jpg

pen3007.jpg

pen3009.jpg

This is my crele wyandotte that I hatched.I don't know what the mix is but he came from my layer pen.The two boys are now about 6 weeks older than this picture and are huge.

and spoil the surprise???? ok seramas- I have found a nicely barred hen.IN my spare time ( LOL) I have to go get her. Now to find an appropriate roo. I love crele coloring- I don't care what breed. In serama- it will be almost impossible I realize to get it to breed true for a while ( if ever-lol) since it is technically a land race- but what fun- and it seems Dipsy has a nice crele serama roo- maybe I can sweet talk her into helping me- she and I are in the same state.. not really close..... but still the same state and we share a love of daylillies too
wink.png

edited for spelling-

Last edited:
I'm wondering how the crele coloring got into Seramas, since I don't recall that being a color that was originally imported, but I could be wrong...they're all sorts of colors, anyway.

Quote:
Yeah I remember earlier in the spring seeing some pictures of those crele birds,,,,,very pretty!!! I couldn't remember who, but now that you mentioned it, yeah it was Dipsy Doodle Do

editted to take out the stupid joke! :|

Last edited:
Quote:
Breed her with a black breasted red rooster. If she's barred as in B&W as a barred rock, the offspring probably will be black except the males will be barred and girls solid black(and not barred). You should keep the sons and breed them with a black breasted red hen(same color/pattern as on Welsumers, Light Brown leghorns, BBR OEG etc.. darkish brown with rich patterning)

Black breasted red is what you want as creles are properly the barring on a black breasted red. Barred rocks is not really a color.. they are simply solid black chickens with the addition of the barring gene which is what makes the white bars.

Barring also works best on black areas.. so the black breasts abd black tails on BBR roosters makes for a good "contrast" in Creles. Otherwise, barring generally does not show up as well on other colors with some exceptions.

To keep it simpler if the above was confusing: Use good black breasted red birds to get good Creles. Repeat crossing to BBR if the barred hen is black and white barred, as black is a dominant gene so the first generation probably will come out black and barred. You also have to use at least one barred bird in each cross.

Once you have Creles in both sexes, breed them together, as barring has a bit of a dose effect.. many of the crosses may seem to have poor barring, however roosters pure for barring tend to express the barring more strongly. Hens typically show much less barring as they can only have one Barring gene(it is sex linked so hens can only have one copy of this while males can either one or two copies), this is pretty much a challenge so do not get discouraged trying to get good barring on both sexes.

Good luck from another fan of Creles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom