Crest mites... Didn't know we had them!

Tricia5099

Songster
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Nothern IN
We have a super show quality flock of polish. We have never had a problem with mites before and I was thankful. Now just as our first show for the year is around the corner, they appear. 2 or 3 weeks ago we were proofing over the girls and saw they had mites. We took them inside and gave them 2 very thorough baths each. After drying off, each hen was inspected for, not kidding, 20+ minutes. Making sure no bug remained on the feathers. So they went back to the farm and stayed in a separate shed. Yesterday, I checked and ONE HEN WAS INFESTED. after everyone's bath they all received frontline on their crest. Anyways, we powered them with sevin dust. Clearly we didn't put it in their crest in fear that it would go in their eyes. Should we? Frontline didn't help. My mind is racing, I need to get the bugs gone fast. Thinking about Gaelic in the water, feather fixer for their food, frontline on the crest, sevin dust, more baths. But I don't want to over expose them to chemicals, to the point where they will just end up dying. I've heard DE doesn't work for many people, so I haven't wasted my money on it. Opinions? Just want the bugs gone soon.
I liked it better before this experience

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. Frontline has always worked for us so I don't know what to tell you. Isn't ivermectin supposed to kill everything internal and external?

Back
Top Bottom