Crevecoeur with Lymphoma (5 week old pullet)

Thank you. Yes, and yes I, too, was afraid that the result was going to say it was treatable. Like one of those awful, tragic stories.

I looked at the report again: "No Mycoplasma recovered by culture of sample submitted after 10 days of incubation. Very low numbers of Staphylococcus xylosis and mixed flora recovered from sample submitted. No primary pathogens detected."
"Mycoplasma Gallisepticum and Mycoplasma Synoviae: Not detected"

I hope it was peaceful, I haven't been with either chicken when they were put to sleep, they just took them to the back (they say it is, they just go to sleep). Dr. Siens had to take some blood samples before Buggaboo was anesthetized, so that they can run tests.

Thank you, been an awful past week, we lost two more birds, from totally unrelated things. My mom's beautiful rooster had got caught up on a fence by his spur and ended up suffocating himself. We think he'd been sparring through the fence with my two bantam cochin roos. A few days later we lost a 12 week old golden seabright (Flash Golden) to a *(&$ bullsnake, which I hadn't deported two weeks before thinking that it would keep the mice down and rattlers away. :.( Then this Friday I thought I was going to lose the 6 YO australorp, but she laid a soft shelled egg, then promptly went broody.

At any rate!
Dr. Siens left a message today: the Avian Pathologist told her that Buggaboo'd had lymphoma... Which is very rare in birds, and she should write a paper about it.

I was looking it up and I kept seeing Marek's Disease mentioned along with it...?? As in it can cause lymphoma. I called and left a message, then stopped by on the way home, but she was booked up. This give me a chance to process and figure out questions. Like is it an inheritable thing, and was it caused by Mareks? If it was Mareks I figured it would have caused other birds to have it, too.

Just baffling she'd gotten cancer so young... I don't think there was anything we could have done to save her.

I wish I could change the title of this thread to say that she'd had lymphoma not glaucoma.

Maybe a mod could change it? Report the first post and in the reason, say you'd like "Glaucoma" changed to "Lymphoma".

That's shocking/horrible. Poor little Buggaboo. Who would have ever thought it was cancer? Not what I was expecting at all. I thought we were gonna hear some crazy rare bacteria name or something. Sometimes babies are born with cancer. I'm betting she was and it just took a while to grow and spread to her eyes enough that it made them bug out like that. (Is that why you named her Buggaboo? Regardless, the name is adorable and I want to name a chick after her. I'm getting lots this month, so she will live on in name at least.)

Yeah, when you see the vet I'd definitely ask if Buggaboo had Marek's and that's what caused the lymphoma. That's an important thing to know for managing your flock in the future.

I'm really sorry for your other losses as well. When it rains it pours. Just snuggle the rest of your babies and enjoy them as much as you can. That's one nice thing about chickens (barring a predator wiping them all out at :hugs:hugs:hugs

On the bright side, at least your australorp isn't dying. (If having a broody hen can be considered a bright side...:oops:)

Dr. Siens left a message today: the Avian Pathologist told her that Buggaboo'd had lymphoma... Which is very rare in birds, and she should write a paper about it.

I was looking it up and I kept seeing Marek's Disease mentioned along with it...?? As in it can cause lymphoma. I called and left a message, then stopped by on the way home, but she was booked up. This give me a chance to process and figure out questions. Like is it an inheritable thing, and was it caused by Mareks? If it was Mareks I figured it would have caused other birds to have it, too.
I'm glad you are slowly getting some information.
I would ask the pathologist to send you the official report so you have all the information you need to do some research.

I'll ask the mods, thanks!
It just baffles me how she could have gotten it so early, or like you said, she could have been born with it. Something went wrong somewhere.
Yes, she was named after her buggy eyes " Picked her up and said " Oh no! Your eyes look like a bugs!" I didn't really want to, but I'd thought about it that week, and then I had to give a name to the vet.

Good idea to get the official report, I like having all the information.

I actually look at the broody as a good thing, I wanted some cream legbars, but don't want to have to raise them myself, just got chickens out of the house! I am getting some hatching eggs next week, and I hope she stays broody until then.

I'll ask the mods, thanks!
It just baffles me how she could have gotten it so early, or like you said, she could have been born with it. Something went wrong somewhere.
Yes, she was named after her buggy eyes " Picked her up and said " Oh no! Your eyes look like a bugs!" I didn't really want to, but I'd thought about it that week, and then I had to give a name to the vet.

Good idea to get the official report, I like having all the information.

I actually look at the broody as a good thing, I wanted some cream legbars, but don't want to have to raise them myself, just got chickens out of the house! I am getting some hatching eggs next week, and I hope she stays broody until then.
If she just started being broody I imagine she'll stay that way. Could give her some eggs to sit on if she doesn't have any yet (to keep her in the mindset ;) ) I'm glad you're happy about it. It seems like most people see it as a problem, but I guess that's because they don't want theirs to hatch out chicks.

Doing anything fun for the 4th?

It should be possible for the pathologist to tell you about Marek's, one way or the other. You need to know!
Some unlucky individuals will have lymphoma, even at a young age, and it's very sad. From a flock standpoint, you need to know if Marek's disease is present, or avian leukosis.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom