Help!! Not sure what is going on

binksmum

Hatching
Apr 9, 2024
Hello! I’ve read so many posts and see how helpful this community is. I am hoping for some good advice. Last week one of my 1 year old hens started having swelling in front of her left eye. My flock free ranges during the day so I was hopeful she just got poked or something like that. It did not improve so I started terramycin ointment in her eye. So far, no improvement. She is acting normally otherwise. Eating well, normal energy and laying daily. I see no nasal discharge or bubbles in the eye. Today I *gently* pushed on it but saw no evidence of pus- I was very gentle, though.
I’m unsure what this could be or how to proceed. I’m attaching pictures to compare good eye vs bad eye. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 12E344C6-E155-4068-8CC9-6B835D845A3B.jpeg
    12E344C6-E155-4068-8CC9-6B835D845A3B.jpeg
    523 KB · Views: 31
  • A76BEF22-1C13-4662-B64E-0A52244DB8D2.jpeg
    A76BEF22-1C13-4662-B64E-0A52244DB8D2.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 26F3C1E0-B51F-4161-A9FC-7D3E40C03FF2.jpeg
    26F3C1E0-B51F-4161-A9FC-7D3E40C03FF2.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 13
Is there any sign of injury, and scab on that lump, it may just look like a tiny speck? Can you get a close up picture, clear and in focus, several angles if you can, so we can see it clearly?
It could be full of pus (under the skin) or it could possibly be a tumor.

Yes, a better picture might help. It looks like the white part just next to the eye has white pus. I would try to express some of that, flush the eye with saline and apply the Terramycin ointment twice a day.

Hello! I’ve read so many posts and see how helpful this community is. I am hoping for some good advice. Last week one of my 1 year old hens started having swelling in front of her left eye. My flock free ranges during the day so I was hopeful she just got poked or something like that. It did not improve so I started terramycin ointment in her eye. So far, no improvement. She is acting normally otherwise. Eating well, normal energy and laying daily. I see no nasal discharge or bubbles in the eye. Today I *gently* pushed on it but saw no evidence of pus- I was very gentle, though.
I’m unsure what this could be or how to proceed. I’m attaching pictures to compare good eye vs bad eye. Thanks in advance!
Thank you all for your thoughts. I thought it was either an infection or a cyst, but after taking her to the vet I found out it’s a tumor 😢. Waiting to hear the outcome of the biopsy. The vet removed what he could of it and I’m giving her antibiotics. I can tell she feels better already. Fingers crossed the biopsy is benign! The vet said there are many viruses that cause tumors. I let the flock free range during the day, so perhaps she picked up the virus that way.

Let us know what the vet thinks. Call them to check if you don’t get any info in a bit. There are 2 viruses that cause tumors, but there are many other cancers and cysts possible.

Back
Top Bottom