To early?

Greta A

Chirping
Jun 8, 2022
My Muscovy hen had 4 eggs. She hatched 3 and one died shortly. The other two are one day old and moms takes them on a pond tour Lol. Is it to early ?

Explain your pond. The dangers are snapping turtles, flying predators even snakes at the age the ducklings are. Mamas have been doing this forever and many lose their whole hatchs, ponds can be fun and dangerous at the same time. If your worried keep mama and ducklings up till they are 3-4 weeks old and make sure they can't get into water they can't get out of.
This year a member watched a Muscovy female lose her whole hatch but one on a pond at her home. These were feral Muscovy .

Mom will take care of them. Predators could be a problem but I wouldnt fuss. Mom will keep them oiled and warm as needed.
Yes, Moms will take care of them the best they can, I am very protective probably overly I only let my Musvcovy hatch small clutches so I like to make sure they all survive.

I too, would like to hear about your pond. Many prefer letting nature, though often cruel, take its course and then there's "God gave man(kind) dominion over the animals (all the earth) way of thinking." I fretted every time a hawk would fly over the pond until our muscovy ducklings weighed more than the hawks. If you've snapping turtles, it's probable that you'll lose your ducklings.

We have turtles but not snapping turtles. My biggest predators are hawks. I have been keeping everyone in most the day and letting them out late afternoon. This was yesterday. I will let Lola decide I guess. They can swim pretty good for 24 hours old

Attachments

• IMG_2288.jpeg
    IMG_2288.jpeg
    754.2 KB · Views: 5
Lovely. Big red eared sliders are a threat as well. Ducks are tasty to many things. Big bullfrogs, too.
Just keep an eye on them. If you lose one put on the lock down because whatever got one will be back for more.

Back
Top Bottom