Crippled chicken

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I have a crippled chicken, a little over six months old. He, I thought it was she, was born with a deformed foot. He’s a Silkie/Cochin mix with five toes. He’s always been able to get around without any issues. A few days ago, when I went out to open up their coop, he didn’t move. Unusual so I went to pick him up. He’s very crabby and tried to peck me.

I separated him, provided food, water, and extra probiotics and electrolytes for three days. No improvement, he’s not any worse but can’t seem to stand at all. I brought him inside and right now he’s laying in our living room with us.

We just lost our family dog and we are having a very difficult time. I cannot put him down. Is there anything else I can do that I haven’t thought of? He’s chocolate colored and has a Mohawk of feathers, the cutest little guy. I thought about a wheelchair. I tried to let him out for a bit but some of the hens started bullying him.

While in the hospital coop, he managed to eat and get up to the roost every night. I cannot decide how to proceed to give him his best life. It’s too hot right now, triple digit days, to do much. I was wondering if he might be okay in a separate dog kennel within the coop when it cools off.

Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• 71502967663__63D16293-B394-4396-9CB2-0C525121A477.jpeg
    71502967663__63D16293-B394-4396-9CB2-0C525121A477.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2628.jpeg
    IMG_2628.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have a crippled chicken, a little over six months old. He, I thought it was she, was born with a deformed foot. He’s a Silkie/Cochin mix with five toes. He’s always been able to get around without any issues. A few days ago, when I went out to open up their coop, he didn’t move. Unusual so I went to pick him up. He’s very crabby and tried to peck me.

I separated him, provided food, water, and extra probiotics and electrolytes for three days. No improvement, he’s not any worse but can’t seem to stand at all. I brought him inside and right now he’s laying in our living room with us.

We just lost our family dog and we are having a very difficult time. I cannot put him down. Is there anything else I can do that I haven’t thought of? He’s chocolate colored and has a Mohawk of feathers, the cutest little guy. I thought about a wheelchair. I tried to let him out for a bit but some of the hens started bullying him.

While in the hospital coop, he managed to eat and get up to the roost every night. I cannot decide how to proceed to give him his best life. It’s too hot right now, triple digit days, to do much. I was wondering if he might be okay in a separate dog kennel within the coop when it cools off.

Thank you for any advice.
He may have a fracture. Is a trip to a vet possible?

Back
Top Bottom