crooked face/beak chick

mlowarren

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hi everyone. I have a 5 week old Silkie chick that I got from Cackle hatchery, and I just noticed the other day that its beak is crooked on its face!
sad.png
It is not a crossbeak - the top and bottom of the beak line up fine - but the entire beak is pointed sideways, sort of like the whole thing was stuck on wrong
hu.gif
It actually looks kind of cute, but not at all normal. Other than the beak it seems normal and healthy. Has anyone ever had a chick like this? Any info or suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Quote:
Nope, I've never seen it. But I'd love to...can you post a picture? Does (s)he have trouble eating or drinking?

it is called crooked beak,and usually they have trouble eating or drinking with the illness. If i were you i would take it to a vet or at least search online and see what to do about it.Usually it depends on how bad the condition is is how they will tell you to deal with it,but i would look at a bunch of different websites because a lot of people will tell you to put it down,but i wouldnt if i were you. It can be treated though so stay optimistic and i have heard stories of people who have grown chickens with crooked beak and the chickens act like there is nothing worng with them!
smile.png

Thanks for the replies. I will try to post a pic when I get home from work. It's hard to see unless she's looking straight at me.

She's eating/drinking just fine and seems to be developing right along with her brooder-mates, so the beak doesn't seem to be affecting her at all...it just looks really strange!

Back
Top Bottom