Crop bra for hens?

I'm going on a few months and my sock converted bra is the key to success. My silkie is only 2.6 lbs. so it's perfect. I've made three to day and they work great. Something about the elastic material really holds up the crop. I let her out of it for a few days at a time and when her head starts bobbing, back in she goes and then fine again.

I'm pretty sure it was just a genetic crop stasis issue.

I found this thread late. I created a similar crop bra a couple of years ago for my hen who became impacted, then after solving that, never had her crop's muscle tone return entirely. I used a black support sock rather than an athletic sock. It's far more supportive and doesn't wear out quickly. It worked well for her until her death. (Accident jumping from the roost.) They don't like them at first but get used to the feeling after a few days.

Quote:
What breed was your bird? My Lucy is a blue orpington and rather large. The crop bra I purchased is helping, but I am still in search of a better/ longer lasting option.

Mine was a large black Ausie. The men's support sock / stocking fabric is meant to provide compression and support to the legs so it works really well. The one I made for her lasted over a year, even with her plucking at the edges and me washing it from time to time. I basically cut the toe off leaving the insole area as her neck, then cut it to fit her body length, then removed a square from the top so her wings would fit through.

I'm new and just finding this. I have a production red... Maybe 17 weeks old or so and I think she WAS impacted. We moved sand into the run, fed her some diluted pineapple juice, put vinegar in her water and now her crop is no longer hard. You can tell a huge difference in size when you feel of it but it still appears "saggy." As long as it isn't hard and I can't feel a bunch of stuff in the crop is she okay? Do I have to support her crop in some way?

So how big was your support sock? I want to try this out on an Ameraucana who's been having crop issues, and my sock just doesn't look big enough to go around her body. Am I just a wimp? I have been using athletic wrap on her so far, because that was what the vet suggested, but it doesn't last very long.

I used one of my own athletic socks on my 2.4 lb. silkies and it was perfect. Snug for sure, but that was necessary.

Santa brought my boss chicken a birdy bra for Christmas. It crosses over the top, but I am not really sure how to attach the straps, other than to tie them, which I am not sure I want to do, won't it be in the way? Has anyone used one of these? I thought it would come with velcro or something.

One of my pullets got an impacted crop (it was filled with sand, I have had sand in my run and coops for over two years and never had an issue with my chickens) the vet was able to flush it out however, by then an infection had already developed so she has been in isolation for over two weeks. The vet made her a crop bra with vet wrap and I am amazed how long it has lasted, it is still intact even though she tries to preen thru it. She has not been in her normal environment in the yard, she is in a room by herself and roams around it but I should say it is a lot cleaner than being outside. I like the vet wrap bra because it is not obtrusive at all (I saw the ones they sell and they look huge and obtrusive to me). I will try to learn how to do it in case she has to continue to wear one once she gets moved back to the yard which I am crossing my fingers because it has been a touch and go situation from the get go.

I suggest you try treating the impacted crop before you use a crop bra. I was doing some research and I found out that you should try gently massaging the crop. This will keep things moving and will empty it out. Afterwards, feed your chicken soft bread (no crust) soaked in olive oil. The olive oil is thought to act as a lubricant and may help the crop to empty.

Back
Top Bottom