Crop Issue with Barred Rock Hen

Dawnclucks22

Crowing
May 28, 2017
Naboo
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Barred Rock Hen, about 4 years old. Lays occasionally.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Her crop was not empty this morning and my mom reported diarrhea with blood specks last night. She’s in the middle of a hard molt so I’m concerned her metabolism isn’t up to full potential at the moment. Her crop feels like clay - firm but I can move it around a bit.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Only a few days.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No, and I’m not that concerned about contagion since it’s a crop thing...
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Other than the poop mentioned, no.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She’s an older bird, so I have accepted it could be anything. She’s past her golden years and starting to slow down.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Yes, I offered her a few bites of food and then removed it to try to get her crop moving again.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I haven’t seen it myself yet.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I’ve separated her from the others within their view with a dish of water. Unsure if I should continue to offer food.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
My goal is to treat her myself. Vet is not an option. If all else fails I am willing to make her comfortable until she passes, if this is fatal.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
She really just looks like a molting chicken.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She’s in an old rabbit cage separated from the others but within their view with a dish of water.

I would give her a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench or put some electroltyes and vitamins (such as SaveAChick) in her water for a few days. Some egg plus a spoonful of plain yogurt might be given. I would massage the crop several times a day. Make sure that she takes plenty of water. A stool softener (colase or doccusate sodium) or a teaspoonful of solid coconut or mineral oil might help move the impaction on. Tomorrow if she is doing a little better, you might offer some very watery chicken feed but no whole grains or cracked corn or seeds.

A lot of crop problems may be related to other problems, such as reproductive disorders (internal laying and others.)

*UPDATE* Her crop has gotten smaller! I gave her some watered-down yogurt today. She loves the stuff, so she gobbled it down and I’m hoping it’ll help her in the long run.

She could have just had a slow off day. Maybe had a twist of grass in there clogging the works. Continue with the softer foods, good protein laden foods, and make sure she has access to plenty of water and grit along the way.

The blood specks might be intestinal shed or from certain worms. It would be good to know what the poops are like now. Pictures of typical droppings would be helpful, and also to know if she is eating foods other than yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom