Crop issue?

Mis pollitos

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2012
Stillwater, Minnesota
I'm a newbie. Thought I had posted this, but can't find it. I don't know where it went so I'm going to try again. I have 4 20 week old chicks. 2 started laying about 10 days ago. It is one of these about whom I have a concern. I've attached pictures. She appears to be eating and drinking fine, behaves just like the other 3. My chicas do not free range (too many predators), the floor of the run can be seen in the pictures so you can see what they are running around in all day. Does it look like she has a crop issue? It feels malleable and soft, she allowed me to manipulate it with no problem. Any feedback would be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance...

Attachments

• Crop?.jpg
    Crop?.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 11
  • Crop 3.jpg
    Crop 3.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 11
It hangs fairly low for such a young bird, but I would check her crop for several mornings in a row to make sure the crop is emptying. Do this before she's had anything to eat/drink so you get an accurate gauge of crop function.
When you feel the crop during the day when she's eating/drinking you should feel food in there.

IF her crop is not emptying (flat) in the morning, then read the article linked, it will help you with treatment. IF it's not emptying and it's hanging low like that, she may need a crop bra to help sort things out.

What do you feed?
Are you providing oyster shell and poultry grit (granite) free choice too?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It hangs fairly low for such a young bird, but I would check her crop for several mornings in a row to make sure the crop is emptying. Do this before she's had anything to eat/drink so you get an accurate gauge of crop function.
When you feel the crop during the day when she's eating/drinking you should feel food in there.

IF her crop is not emptying (flat) in the morning, then read the article linked, it will help you with treatment. IF it's not emptying and it's hanging low like that, she may need a crop bra to help sort things out.

What do you feed?
Are you providing oyster shell and poultry grit (granite) free choice too?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Thank you for helping me out! About 2 weeks ago we started the transition to "big girl food". Purina (recommended by the shop where we got our chicks & general equipment). It is supposed to have the calcium and everything needed, we also bought grit that they have been eating. I did check her this morning as she came down from the roost, before eating or drinking and it seemed flat. I will keep checking her during the day and in the mornings for awhile....I may check back with you, if that's okay?

Thank you for helping me out! About 2 weeks ago we started the transition to "big girl food". Purina (recommended by the shop where we got our chicks & general equipment). It is supposed to have the calcium and everything needed, we also bought grit that they have been eating. I did check her this morning as she came down from the roost, before eating or drinking and it seemed flat. I will keep checking her during the day and in the mornings for awhile....I may check back with you, if that's okay?
It's good that her crop was flat this morning!
Oyster shell and grit can be provided free choice. While layer feed does have calcium that they need, some birds need "extra" - the oyster shell provides this, so a good practice is just to make it available.

Yes, please do check back and let me know how she's doing!

Good morning! Checked Peep again this morning as she descended the ramp from the coop. The crop was nice and flat!
Now, a new incident: I found this on the ramp (photos attached). Is it an undeveloped egg that one of the chicas who has not layed yet "released"? Is it a concern? I don't know for sure which one it was, but from the grey feather attached I believe it might have been the Olive Egger (she's the only one with grey feathers around her rump).
Sorry to keep bothering you, but I really appreciate your advice! Thanks again
It's good that her crop was flat this morning!
Oyster shell and grit can be provided free choice. While layer feed does have calcium that they need, some birds need "extra" - the oyster shell provides this, so a good practice is just to make it available.

Yes, please do check back and let me know how she's doing!

Attachments

• Luna ?.jpg
    Luna ?.jpg
    764.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Luna ? 2.jpg
    Luna ? 2.jpg
    917 KB · Views: 7
Good morning! Checked Peep again this morning as she descended the ramp from the coop. The crop was nice and flat!
Now, a new incident: I found this on the ramp (photos attached). Is it an undeveloped egg that one of the chicas who has not layed yet "released"? Is it a concern? I don't know for sure which one it was, but from the grey feather attached I believe it might have been the Olive Egger (she's the only one with grey feathers around her rump).
Sorry to keep bothering you, but I really appreciate your advice! Thanks again
It may be a new layer glitch, but I would provide oyster shell free choice.
Check out her vent and see if she's got any egg yolk/white discharge from the vent - hopefully there is none and that spillage is just from the membrane hitting the ramp.

It's good that Peep's crop was empty this morning!

Questions, concerns and sharing is not bothering me or anyone else! We are all here to help one another and offer support :)

I will certainly get some oyster shell for them, although the feed bag says it has oyster shell. I did check the vent of the one I suspect and all looked clean and fine. I'll keep monitoring both of them and hope for the best!
Thanks again for all of your assistance and have a great week!

It may be a new layer glitch, but I would provide oyster shell free choice.
Check out her vent and see if she's got any egg yolk/white discharge from the vent - hopefully there is none and that spillage is just from the membrane hitting the ramp.

It's good that Peep's crop was empty this morning!

Questions, concerns and sharing is not bothering me or anyone else! We are all here to help one another and offer support :)
Good morning....just FYI: another shell-less egg this morning. I'll keep watching and get the oyster shell.

Hi Wyorp Rock! (Wish I had a real name to go with it....)
The most recent news is that the oyster shell arrived on Monday & I put it out for them right away. On Wed there was another egg under the roost, this one had a shell, albeit a soft shell. Since then nothing, that I know of, as the eggs are all the same color. Until the Olive Egger starts....thank you SO much for all of your assistance!

Back
Top Bottom