Crop issues need HELP!

Am I an obsessive new mom, or is this crop too big for normal. I've been checking her in the morning after no food- and she was totally empty, then 98% empty this morning ( could have eaten food they kicked out of feeder). But she gorges! So much bigger then my other 20 weekers- but she is only one laying...

Am I an obsessive new mom, or is this crop too big for normal. I've been checking her in the morning after no food- and she was totally empty, then 98% empty this morning ( could have eaten food they kicked out of feeder). But she gorges! So much bigger then my other 20 weekers- but she is only one laying...

It is a bit large, but if it is empty in the morning, she just might be a little piggy during the day, lol.

I think she's probably fine. Producing eggs means she does need to eat more than her non-producing sisters. My hens' crop size varies with one being a little piggy and looking like she may tip off her perch each night. Honestly when I got my first hens it wasn't until they started laying that I even realized where their crops were lol. Just monitor so you can get used to what's normal for each of your girls :)

Crop question.
After a chicken has suffered from an impacted / sour crop, how long does it take for its system to get back to normal?

Welp I'm on day 3 of a different hen now having an impacted crop. I can barely get any epsom salt in her because she fights me so bad. Her crop almost feels like silly putty when I massage it. what do I do now? Should i try to empty her crop tomorrow????

Back
Top Bottom