Crop on Left Side?

karenej

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2016
Northcentral Alabama
Hi all, I've had a Welsummer hen that's been having issues for a week or so now. I came back from vacation and she was stretching her neck out and gasping when she breaths in kind of like a wheezing sound. I looked for her crop and didn't feel anything on the right side of her breastbone but on the left side there was something rock hard. Could she have an impacted crop on the left side?? Thanks.

Do you see any scabbing at all or missing feathers on the left side?

I'm wondering if she may have a tumor that's grown in such a way as to impact her breathing. I have no experience with this, so hopefully you'll get some suggestions on what to do.

As for parasites, I don't think they would all exhibit symptoms at the same time. She could be the first or perhaps the worst of the hens. I'd venture to guess that gape worm is a good place to start with your research and treatment.

The crop is *almost* always on the right, but I do own a bird that has one on the left. Can post pictures if there is any doubt.

I called my vet and she said that sometimes the crop switches sides, which is what happened with mine. As a chick her crop was on the right, but one day I noticed that it was on the left, and it's been that way for almost threes year now.

Back
Top Bottom