Crop problem

Auscal

Songster
9 Years
Oct 29, 2010
I have a chicken who looking somewhat lethargic. I noticed yesterday evening her crop felt a little odd - kinda squishy, but, I gently massaged and it seemed to reduce. I pulled food overnight and checked her this morning - the crop had not emptied overnight. Once again it felt ...squishy, not hard, but it was still large - maybe 3/4 temmis ball size. Once again I seemed to be able to massage it away. I kept her separated today, without food, and only offered water with AVC. Late this afternoon the crop is still the same size. It's not rock hard, so I don't know that it's impacted, but, it definitely doesn't seem to be emptying as it should.
Any suggestions for how to treat her? Should I keep her off food? - try to syringe some oil into her crop & massage?

I, too have what I believe is a crop problem. This evening (after being gone to work for 14 hrs), I noticed one of my 9 day old chick standing with her neck scrunched down and very lethargic. The rest of the chicks are upright and active! I picked her up and noticed a very hard lump on her chest. I assume this is a impacted crop. I tried to look up what to do, but I can't seem to find an answer as to what I might try and do to save her.

Can anyone help?

Thank you,
Beatrice

I have a chicken who looking somewhat lethargic. I noticed yesterday evening her crop felt a little odd - kinda squishy, but, I gently massaged and it seemed to reduce. I pulled food overnight and checked her this morning - the crop had not emptied overnight. Once again it felt ...squishy, not hard, but it was still large - maybe 3/4 temmis ball size. Once again I seemed to be able to massage it away. I kept her separated today, without food, and only offered water with AVC. Late this afternoon the crop is still the same size. It's not rock hard, so I don't know that it's impacted, but, it definitely doesn't seem to be emptying as it should.
Any suggestions for how to treat her? Should I keep her off food? - try to syringe some oil into her crop & massage?
Is she eating anything other than chick feed? If she is,then she has to have grit to digest food.

I, too have what I believe is a crop problem. This evening (after being gone to work for 14 hrs), I noticed one of my 9 day old chick standing with her neck scrunched down and very lethargic. The rest of the chicks are upright and active! I picked her up and noticed a very hard lump on her chest. I assume this is a impacted crop. I tried to look up what to do, but I can't seem to find an answer as to what I might try and do to save her.

Can anyone help?

Thank you,
Beatrice
Crop may not be impacted,food just has not digested yet. Check her in the morning,before she has eaten, crop should be small/empty. That way you will know. If she is eating anything other than chick feed,she needs grit.

Last edited:
Is she eating anything other than chick feed? If she is,then she has to have grit to digest food.

My chicken is about 2 years old - very recently changed from layer pellets to flock raiser. She is in a 40ft run during the day - grit is not a problem. Though, thankyou for the suggestion.

Any other thoughts? please.

Back
Top Bottom