Crop That Won't Empty

Hello Plymrocker. How is your girl now? I am having a very similar problem with one of mine. I hope you managed to sort it out.

Holding her own, but still not well or getting better. We had given her the recipe above a few times; maybe not enough or consistantly enough. We'e going to try some does of orbiotic now, Monistat 7, cinnamon and oregano oil in yogurt....we're just trying anything now. I feel so bad for her, but she's not looking or acting too sick yet so...maybe there is hope. Just can't seem to get her 100% yet.

I wish you the best. As I said before, slow crops are usually caused by something farther down the pipe, so to speak. All you can do is try. All of mine with these symptoms have had an underlying illness, often advanced salpingitis. Lost one with an impacted gizzard - found at necropsy. Just lost one today that has had a slow crop, I suspect cancer, but did not necropsy as my heart just wasn't in it today. Crop issues can be frustrating and difficult to narrow down.

I wish you the best. As I said before, slow crops are usually caused by something farther down the pipe, so to speak. All you can do is try. All of mine with these symptoms have had an underlying illness, often advanced salpingitis. Lost one with an impacted gizzard - found at necropsy. Just lost one today that has had a slow crop, I suspect cancer, but did not necropsy as my heart just wasn't in it today. Crop issues can be frustrating and difficult to narrow down.

Thank you, and I’m sorry for your losses. I wonder if it is something underlying with mine but, I haven’t mentioned that she is less than a year old. I’m thinking she ate the straw we had up in the run, and it’s caught and not breaking down somewhere.

We've tried burping her, although not using that technique. Some liquid comes up, but not the rest of what is in there. It hasn't resolved anything yet.
One of my hens was just standing around with her eyes shut and when I touched her she walked a few steps and did that horizontal head bob thing. I picked her up and her crop felt like it was full of liquid. I did the video thing, but I put her on her side, not upside down. I think she had something stuck (they have rice straw as well), as it didn't stink and I don't think it was sour crop. Just one treatment and she was fine. I withheld food that day and the next morning her crop was empty. She's back to being herself now. Good luck with your girl, hopefully it will be alright. :fl

Holding her own, but still not well or getting better. We had given her the recipe above a few times; maybe not enough or consistantly enough. We'e going to try some does of orbiotic now, Monistat 7, cinnamon and oregano oil in yogurt....we're just trying anything now. I feel so bad for her, but she's not looking or acting too sick yet so...maybe there is hope. Just can't seem to get her 100% yet.

I know this is an old post but I’m wondering whatever happened to this girl? We have a very similar situation we’re dealing with and deciding what to do next...I feel like we’ve tried everything and it’s not improving after over a week. Thanks in advance for any update!

I know this is an old post but I’m wondering whatever happened to this girl? We have a very similar situation we’re dealing with and deciding what to do next...I feel like we’ve tried everything and it’s not improving after over a week. Thanks in advance for any update!
Bumping up this thread again.

My girl has been poorly now she has this crop issue it started with diarrhea I've just checked on her tonight and her crop is big and a little fluid is coming out as I massage her.

Can someone please let me know if anyone here has tried this remedy above and was there any success?

Last edited:
The correct amount of the herbal for doughy crops is:
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
squirt of lemon juice
2 Tbsp water
Give the ENTIRE amount 1/2 ml at a time until you've given it ALL. Then massage the crop well (I usually start massaging as soon as I've gotten a ml or two in and then with each ml after that til it's all been given), this is what helps break it up and hopefully make it passable. And you do this 3 times a day. I've had success clearing doughy crops this way, HOWEVER it may just recur depending on what the underlying cause is. It could be a partial blockage and would resolve in the event it was eventually passed. But there are diseases that can cause everything to slow down (cancer, tumors, Marek's, infection for a few) and that can cause the doughy crop, and it will recur as long as the underlying condition is there. And depending on the cause it can be very hard to diagnose. Most blockages that are below the crop are not really treatable unless it's a blockage that is able to be passed. An x-ray might give a clue, but I know you said you didn't want to do the vet. So in that event I would continue trying to clear it and monitor the birds weight. If things don't change and she begins to lose weight, or develops further symptoms you will need to consider other options. Feeding only water soluble foods would be a good idea, and mixing water into her feed will help soften it up, give her more hydration, and hopefully make it easier to pass. Be careful with the yogurt, if it's sitting in the crop it can become sour crop, the lactose will encourage yeast growth. Best of luck.
Thanks for the recipe and sharing your experience!
Now, do you give anything else to eat at the time? I have one 3month old and I am thinking on giving this a try, maybe half a recipe, because of her size, but do I give it and massage randomly and let her eat with the others, or keep separate and give only this and water?

And one more question... If doughy crop is similar to sour crop result from lack of acidity in the stomach, how come we are giving baking soda? Would that not cancel the acid needed to kill the bacteria? Just trying to wrap my head around this all...

I mean yes, I gave this a try, it seems to be doing something... third day going. But would it not make more sense without the baking soda?

Back
Top Bottom