Cross beak chick Beep

mdelhomme

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Spokane, WA
I have an 8 week old chick with a cross beak. She is unable to eat regular chick crumble so we have been feeding her a special mixture of foods that are soft/liquiy. She was doing ok, had gained some weight but was still significantly smaller that the other chicks of the same age. She now has stopped gaining weight and is now losing weight, her top was 270g and now she's down to 230. Today I went back to syringe feeding her a bit of raw egg.
Does anyone have any advice for me? What have you all done with your cross beak chickens? Is her situation hopeless? I cannot afford to take her to a vet, but want to do everything I can at home.
She seems lively, runs to me when I go the coop, and follows me around the yard, but she just can's eat.

Attachments

• IMG_5503beep.JPG
    IMG_5503beep.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 16
I have an 8 week old chick with a cross beak. She is unable to eat regular chick crumble so we have been feeding her a special mixture of foods that are soft/liquiy. She was doing ok, had gained some weight but was still significantly smaller that the other chicks of the same age. She now has stopped gaining weight and is now losing weight, her top was 270g and now she's down to 230. Today I went back to syringe feeding her a bit of raw egg.
Does anyone have any advice for me? What have you all done with your cross beak chickens? Is her situation hopeless? I cannot afford to take her to a vet, but want to do everything I can at home.
She seems lively, runs to me when I go the coop, and follows me around the yard, but she just can's eat.
Poor girl. You might have to tube feed her. @casportpony

As in, put in an OG tube several times a day for feeds? That seems terribly traumatic. And for how long? The rest of her life? Will she ever learn to eat?

Back
Top Bottom