cross beak

TriskeleFarm

Chirping
Jan 28, 2020
I have a 6 week old chick with cross beak, pretty noticeable, although she seems to be eating and drinking pretty well so far...any tips for keeping her alive and healthy?

If it was born with a cross beak, don’t incubate its eggs because it’s risky. Otherwise, mine continued on to lay and even went broody.
I allowed her to brood other’s eggs, and fed her fermented feed a few times a day to be sure she was not starving. A normal hen loses weight while brooding because she’s only getting up once or twice a day. I don’t think a cross beak can handle losing weight.

wow...thankfully my pullet is not nearly that severe of a crossbeak. She just is a little offset. I know in parrots, you can keep the beak trimmed enough for them to still eat normally, so we are working on making her friendly enough that we will be able to keep her beak ground down.
We will be watching her weight and food intake, so far she's keeping up with the rest.

Thanks for the thread!

Crossbeaks can get worse with growing up, and they may need feed put in a bowl with high sides. Sometimes wetting the feed, made fresh every day, can help them get enough to eat. You can Google a number of articles about cross beak chicken care, but her is a good one:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it/
the hen in this article seems similar to our girl's situation. We already feed in a high sided bowl, so that will help, and the water should be easy enough. We will keep her trimmed and hope for the best.

I am caring for a 5 week old Speckled Sussex pullet with crossbeak. Today was my first time to Dremmel her beak. It was very easy to do. Has anyone ever made an "appliance" to attempt to correct the beak? My girl appears to be able to eat and drink just fine and is of similar size to the other chicks.

I am caring for a 5 week old Speckled Sussex pullet with crossbeak. Today was my first time to Dremmel her beak. It was very easy to do. Has anyone ever made an "appliance" to attempt to correct the beak? My girl appears to be able to eat and drink just fine and is of similar size to the other chicks.
I haven’t raised any with cross beak, but some have made some repairs to cracked beaks with tea bag paper and superglue. Glad that your chick is able to eat and drink. Wetting some small amounts of food can be helpful if they have trouble.

Back
Top Bottom