Cross?? Brahma or Australorp Rooster over Barred Rick Hens(or if can, dark Cornish Rooster)

moving coops

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2017
So experimenting with new meat mix this year. Want meat bird with good breast meat, faster growing and still decent egg production if keeping female back, but yet females still goodmeat too butcher. Of course not look for pushed Cornish weights of meat.

Anyway last year I crossed my Barred Rock rooster over hatchery grazers(you guys call rangers). And we got birds that did grow faster and better breast meat than the hatchery grazers(rangers).. better tasting to. But I no longer have grazers. They start dying in their second year. Lol

So my plan was Brahmas Roosters over Barred Rock hens. I have 2 light Brahma And 1 Buff Brahma Rooster. This should produce easy to sex chicks. Even the Buff over the Barred should still be easy to sex...
Side note,,,I saw a post of Cochin crossed barred Rock and breeder said fast growing, as large as father at a younger age than his pure sibling. So that is why I choose my Brahma. Similar type to Cochin. My opinion, not sure if true. That Brahmas might put more meat on the breast than a Cochin. Just kind of looks that way. Cochin just spread their meat along their huge frame, not producing breast meat.
So do you think awesome meat cross, faster growing, good eggs, and easily auto sex.
How many hens can one Brahmahandle. I think they handle less than typical roosters

I could do Australorp. He is huge, but lots is frame and feathers. Maybe crossed will make up for it and add the meat to and large frame, plus good eggs. But reading up wise Australorps maybe not much different in weight if meat than pure Barred Rock anyway. How many hens can 1 Australorp handle.

Could maybe do a dark Cornish heritage rooster, which is meaty up front. But my friend actually just butchered hers and pretty sure no extra rooster...maybe in end best cross, but maybe not...

Also if I put my Light Brahma hens in the pen too, will I be able to easily tell my pure Brahma hens from my crosses....
Saves me a pen...
Some Light Brahma chick pictures show them just yellow, which would be easy, but other show them darker as chicks which then might get hard...

Also with my cross the males will be barred grown out, and females will be pure black?..

Oh and if I were able to cross a dark Cornish over Barred Rock the following year would they still be sex linked. Or does the dark lacing of the Cornish throw things off?

Back
Top Bottom