rascal66

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 10, 2015
Washington
So... I'm unfamiliar with cross beak, but I think one of my chicks has it. It happens tobe my favorite chick too..... Ugh!

Her beak isn't shutting fully.
20190414_123559.jpg
20190414_123617.jpg
20190414_123524.jpg

Not the best pics but if you look closely her beak doesn't shut fully.

Is there any advice for maintaining a good beak shape? Or do I leave her alone? I've trimmed dove beaks before, but this looks... More scary to work with.

So... I'm unfamiliar with cross beak, but I think one of my chicks has it. It happens tobe my favorite chick too..... Ugh!

Her beak isn't shutting fully.
View attachment 1738280 View attachment 1738281 View attachment 1738282
Not the best pics but if you look closely her beak doesn't shut fully.

Is there any advice for maintaining a good beak shape? Or do I leave her alone? I've trimmed dove beaks before, but this looks... More scary to work with.
It doesn’t look like cross beak, maybe just her bottom beak is a tad bit too long. Is it giving her any problems? I use a rotary dog nail file on my chicken beaks and nails. That way you won’t accidentally cut off too much or crack anything by accident.

It doesn’t look like cross beak, maybe just her bottom beak is a tad bit too long. Is it giving her any problems? I use a rotary dog nail file on my chicken beaks and nails. That way you won’t accidentally cut off too much or crack anything by accident.
I haven't observed her long enough to notice any issues, she's growing eating and drinking for the most part. Maybe I could trim a little bit of the lower with a nail clippers, otherwise I'd have to go look for a dog one at the store

I haven't observed her long enough to notice any issues, she's growing eating and drinking for the most part. Maybe I could trim a little bit of the lower with a nail clippers, otherwise I'd have to go look for a dog one at the store
If she is not having a problem, I would leave her alone. I wouldn’t cut it with the nail clippers, you could accidentally cut her tongue off. I only use a rotary drill type nail file that I also use on my dogs.

If she is not having a problem, I would leave her alone. I wouldn’t cut it with the nail clippers, you could accidentally cut her tongue off. I only use a rotary drill type nail file that I also use on my dogs.
she looks healthy and happy and if she is eating and drinking she is fine. Is the beak bothering you?

she looks healthy and happy and if she is eating and drinking she is fine. Is the beak bothering you?
Its worrying me for her future, and if there is a way I could assist I would. But I suppose I could leave it for now... She is about a month and a half old right now. Hoping she will file it down on her own eventually

Its worrying me for her future, and if there is a way I could assist I would. But I suppose I could leave it for now... She is about a month and a half old right now. Hoping she will file it down on her own eventually
Stop worrying about it. If it causes her a problem then worry. In the future you may have to file their beaks or their nails, but like I suggested a rotary type file is the easiest and you won’t accidentally cut them. You can buy one from Amazon, they have all kinds of pet supplies and then you won’t have go all over town searching for one.

Today I found a little concrete slab and put it in the stall with all the chicks. I'm using it to keep the water off the bedding (hay) and hoping that they will learn to rub their beaks on it. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom