Cross breed chicken Questions

PopPop63

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
Ok is this a Cockerel or a pullet? And any idea what mix it could be ? I was told when I got it that it was a black copper marans and it looks as if there was one in its lineage recently...but ...

Attachments

• 20240113_142644.jpg
    20240113_142644.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240113_142720.jpg
    20240113_142720.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 25
The U.S. standard for Marans actually follows the French standard with feathered legs. English Marans are the clean-legged kind, and some clean-legged Marans were imported over from England and do still exist here. Most notably, Cuckoo Marans from hatcheries in the U.S. are quite often the English clean-legged kind. Black Coppers, even from hatcheries, generally have at least some leg feathering, but they could theoretically lose the trait over generations of poor selection, or perhaps someone preferring the English standard might select against leg feathering purposefully. This is all assuming the original poster is in the U.S., of course, and not another country that may favor the English standard over the French one.

The bird definitely is a cockerel, as he has masculine feathering emerging in the saddle area. I'm honestly not positive if he's a mix or not just based on those pictures, however.

The U.S. standard for Marans actually follows the French standard with feathered legs. English Marans are the clean-legged kind, and some clean-legged Marans were imported over from England and do still exist here. Most notably, Cuckoo Marans from hatcheries in the U.S. are quite often the English clean-legged kind. Black Coppers, even from hatcheries, generally have at least some leg feathering, but they could theoretically lose the trait over generations of poor selection, or perhaps someone preferring the English standard might select against leg feathering purposefully. This is all assuming the original poster is in the U.S., of course, and not another country that may favor the English standard over the French one.

The bird definitely is a cockerel, as he has masculine feathering emerging in the saddle area. I'm honestly not positive if he's a mix or not just based on those pictures, however.
I am in The Republic of Texas

what about this no tail feathered thing?

Attachments

• 20240114_154651.jpg
    20240114_154651.jpg
    854.9 KB · Views: 18
Cockerel.

Pullet. What do you mean by "no tail feathered thing"?
that second birdie has not tail feathers lol and not sure what it is as far a breed ...there is another that has the same comb and waddles but it has the marans copper neck feathers , this one has none of that and no tail feathers.

Back
Top Bottom