Cross breed Vigor

Clay In Iowa

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Near Wilton Iowa
I didn't really understand it till now. I ordered some BCM eggs In January. the breeder added 6 "pure bred" Amaraucana eggs in as packing peanuts. As fate would have it I got 6 BCMs to hatch and 3 of the packing peanuts to hatch. One is actually an Amaraucana one was a nasty cross bred mean as the dickens roo (he was tasty) and one is a very sweat very docile OE.

So now all 5 hens are laying . The OE started 8 days earlier than the rest. Her first egg was a beautiful olive green egg about medium in size. In the past 19 days she has laid 17 eggs each getting bit larger. The other 4 hens have been futzing around laying an egg here and there. So In 19 days I have a total of 38 eggs... 17 from the cross bred OE. She's laid 9 days in a row. Almost half my eggs are from one chicken. and the other half from the 4 pure breeds.

I had no intention of crossing my chickens. I wanted to keep the lines pure.. but if I was interested in egg production I might seriously reconsider some "mutts".

Last edited:
How much difference you are seeing is due to hybrid vigor and how much is due to the specific individuals I cannot say. It definitely varies with each individual, but heterosis, also known as hybrid vigor, is a known fact. I can't guarantee anything with a few individual animals, but if you have enough for a statistically accurate sample, there is a difference. You still have to cross the correct breeds. Crossing a leghorn with a silkie will not give you a good meat animal, no matter how much hybrid vigor it has. You have to enhance the traits you want.

Your Ameraucanas are just learning how to lay. I think you will see them pick up the pace pretty soon.

Granted for an N of one I've not done a paired T test or calculated an R value or......................

Clay <----- molecular geneticist at the university of Iowa

Still I'm stuck by the early differences....

Back
Top Bottom