Cross Breeds!!!!

Pics
Puffy and Fluffy their mom was a white silkie and their dad was half blue silkie and half Millie Fleur Belgian Bearded D'uccle.
Puffy

Fluffy

These girls are all Easter Eggers so part Ameraucana, and part????

Pheasant

Hawk

Peepers

Last but not least, Henny Penny my Black Copper Marans crossed with unknown breed.

Just put my fist every hatch on lockdown!! I have a RIR over Barred rocks, Buff Orps, EE and RIR. What should I expect? I can only keep 2 so which crosses should I keep for best layers??

Just put my fist every hatch on lockdown!! I have a RIR over Barred rocks, Buff Orps, EE and RIR. What should I expect? I can only keep 2 so which crosses should I keep for best layers??

There's no correct answer for this, just what are your favorite?. Which lay the best? Here are some of my thoughts. Your mileage may vary. It appears all the babies have one father, so he is a neutral factor? If you keep RIR, you can always produce purebreds in case someone wants to buy any. The EE crosses should lay interestingly colored eggs. The ones with the barred rock mothers should be sex linked so you can tell the sexes at hatch in case you want to keep only pullets. The rest you would have to hang onto longer.
In my case, chicken math would grab me and I would keep ALL the girls.

There's no correct answer for this, just what are your favorite?.  Which lay the best?  Here are some of my thoughts.  Your mileage may vary.  It appears all the babies have one father, so he is a neutral factor?   If you keep RIR, you can always produce purebreds in case someone wants to buy any.  The EE crosses should lay interestingly colored eggs.  The ones with the barred rock mothers should be sex linked so you can tell the sexes at hatch in case you want to keep only pullets.  The rest you would have to hang onto longer.
    In my case, chicken math would grab me and I would keep ALL the girls.

Thank you! Chicken math is terrible this year, haha. I already have 5 three week olds, 4 one week olds, and my hatch is due Saturday. I'd love to keep them all I just can't! My main reason for hatching is that I had to rehome my Roo and wanted to see his offspring before he was gone...so breeding pure in the future is not a thought of mine. Definately looking for pullets, so my best bet is prob the Sex links...however, I do love different colored eggs. Oye!! Maybe it's time to add a second coop, lol!!

I would keep the sex linked barred rocks for the best layers. The bufforp will probably lay pretty well too, but may require more food to fill out those meaty britches. I'd also keep an EE for uniqueness. So my vote would be barred rock and EE.

I would keep the sex linked barred rocks for the best layers. The bufforp will probably lay pretty well too, but may require more food to fill out those meaty britches. I'd also keep an EE for uniqueness. So my vote would be barred rock and EE.

That's what I'm leaning towards too, thanks!

Claire, a 4-month-old Silkie x RIR cross.

She wasn't bred from my birds, she was just one of the pullets I bought along with a few EE's.

Last edited:
Here are mine!

First, my old Cornish Cross cockerel. Cornish Cross is already Cornish/White Rock, but this guy had some interesting brownish-red feathers on him. Must have had some New Hampshire or Rhode Island genes. Name was Prince Brown Feathers "Brownie".

Next, my two "Black Sex-Links". Black Sex-Links are, again, already a cross of a red gene cock/barred gene hen, these obvious show no sign of red. I'm thinking Australorp in the first hen, then perhaps Delaware in the second. Names are Midnight and Blackberry (hence my username).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom