crossing a game rooster with a dominic hen

Quote:
Did you have reason behind grey as game sire?

Barring has a hard time "blocking" Gold.

Chris

so the morning i was sitting by the brooder looking at the chicks and half of them have single comb and others have rose comb....since i cant tell them apart are the rose combed one the dominics and the single comb the sex link????

Quote:
The rose comb is dominant over single comb and locus for these characters which are autosomal (not occuring on sex determining chromosomes). Assuming no differences genetically other than sex, a bird regardless of sex should have rose comb if homozygous or heterozygous for trait. Dominiques are considered to breed true for rose comb, therefore homozygous, although the single comb allele does exist at a low frequency within pure dominiques. You may have rare dom hen carrying the single comb allele or you have a mixup in terms of who the mother is.

Your F1 dominique hen x game rooster should all be rose combed just like the pure dominique unless hen is heterozygous as stated previously.

WHAT I WROTE ABOVE IS NOT CORRECT. To much boook reading with data to backup!

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds like your American Dominique isn't pure, where did you get them from?

Chris

Woogie,

Here is how my first effort is playing out.

I crossed three dom hens (cackle hatchery stock) into an American game stag (brown brested brown red). So far seven chicks with more hatching but I do have enough to make point now.

2 color morphs evident. Both have hint of chipmunk stripe.

Morph 1 repressented by three having black heads and nearly black legs excepting toes. Beak is black. I think these to be female.

Morph 2 repressented by 4 having a nearly white spot on head and legs with only patches of grey. Beak more or less yellowish with grey overtones. I think these to be male.

Dorsal aspect, putative male with white spot.
41527_domcackle_x_american_game_eduardo_dorsal.jpg

Anterior aspect, putative female with much darker beak.
41527_domcackle_x_american_game_eduardo_anterior.jpg

Leg shot, female w/ much darker shanks.
41527_domcackle_x_american_game_eduardo_legs.jpg

Beak alone I think will allow 100% accurate sexing of F1 hybrid.

Last edited:
I will be very interested to see pictures of these chicks as they mature. I have some week old game chicks and am setting Dominique, Speckled Sussex and Welsummer eggs next week.

Quote:
I will effort to provide detailed developmental pictures, likely in another thread entitled "Feather Set Replacement". Feather sets with measures of primary interest but coloration will be evident as well.

I'm doing a test hatch now with BBR Dorking cock-bird over a Dominique hen. One of the chicks appears to have some brownish red on the face -- they're still in the bator with a LOT of chaos, so I can't analyze yet. I know all 3 eggs hatched. One chick has 5 toes, not sure about the others. The pure Dorkings are easy to spot, but there are a lot of black chicks in there!

Back
Top Bottom