Crossing a white egg layer with any speckled egg layer

Knight101

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 5, 2017
I have some cream legbar welsummer crosses that I’ve selective breed for intense speckled eggs and auto sexing. The eggs are different shades of green with brown speckles. I was wondering if I crossed them with a white egg layer if they would keep the speckles. Are speckles part of the brown layering across the egg or is it calcium deposits that wouldn’t be affected if the brown gene was bred out. Are speckles recessive. Has anyone ever seen white or blueish eggs with tons of brown speckles on them?

I have some cream legbar welsummer crosses that I’ve selective breed for intense speckled eggs and auto sexing. The eggs are different shades of green with brown speckles. I was wondering if I crossed them with a white egg layer if they would keep the speckles. Are speckles part of the brown layering across the egg or is it calcium deposits that wouldn’t be affected if the brown gene was bred out. Are speckles recessive. Has anyone ever seen white or blueish eggs with tons of brown speckles on them?
Never heard of a cross? sounds intersting.

390D7585-A515-4E04-AC0E-994391D79C7A.jpeg

Unfortunately this hen died after laying just a few eggs but was an ameraucana rooster and welsummer hen cross. The other hen lays green eggs but has laid one brown speckled green egg.

...green with brown speckles....if I crossed them with a white egg layer if they would keep the speckles. Are speckles part of the brown layering across the egg or is it calcium deposits that wouldn’t be affected if the brown gene was bred out.
Speckles are part of the brown.
If you breed out the brown, you will probably lose the speckles too.

Are speckles recessive.
There are a bunch of genes for brown, with various inheritance patterns.
Sorry, I have no idea about the inheritance of the ones that control whether the brown is speckled instead of smoothly spread across the egg.

Back
Top Bottom