Crossing Silkies and Polish Chickens

Lochte Farms

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2017
Rio Medina, Texas
Okay, I know this has been posted before and I've read through most of those threads, but I didn't find much on frizzled polish chickens. I have two white Silkie hens, a Silkie roo and a beautiful show (potential) quality frizzled polish chicken (I'm not a breeder nor a shower, I just bought her from a breeder and spent a pretty penny for a lovely yard ornament lol). I was thinking about letting my silkies hatch some of the polish chicken's eggs, but they'll be polish/Silkie crosses. I want to know what I should expect from these babies and if anyone has done this, can I see the results? I was thinking they might make some wonderfully beautiful birds, but I'm not sure, I wanted to get some opinions :) thanks in advance guys! Those are my silkies and my frizzled polish chicken, mind you, my silkies are still young, they're maybe 5 or 6 months old so this is a future endeavor, the pullets aren't laying yet. The polish chicken lays like a champ though, she never misses a day!
20170905_153754.jpg
IMG_20170827_190051_205.jpg
CYMERA_20171008_110956.jpg

Beautiful birds!
Thank You! I have a rainbow flock, couple of EE's, Ameracaunas, barred rocks, BCMs, Cochins, and my absolute favorite chicken, a Croad Langshan. Hopefully we'll be adding a couple more Ameracaunas and silver laced Wyandotes. The chickens in my original post are by far the most attractive though, and sweet as they can be. I'm fairly new to the chicken world and I started with just three, Idk what happened after that... chicken math probably

This is my Langshan, I LOVE to show her off <3 she's such a good chicken and she's good at posing for pictures, but I think she knows she's my favorite...
CYMERA_20170828_152021.jpg
received_10155802158029658.jpeg

If you do hatch some of these designer chicks, be sure to post pics!
I will definitely! I've only bought pullets and I've never incubated eggs before or raised chicks so my plan is to let my silkies do the work. I know they're (supposed to be) often broody and make good mothers, so if they want to make some babies, I plan on letting them!

Oh that's another good question. I've thought long and hard about this and I know I can't predict when my hens will be broody, so I did some research and decided that I can keep a fertile egg dormant for 7-14 days before incubating. So my plan is to collect 7ish eggs each (that I plan to hatch), and store them in the pantry, then continue first in first out (out to the fridge for consumption) until one of my hens goes broody. I'm afraid of incubating them, the thought kinda scares me. Anyway, is that a decent plan? That way I don't end up wasting eggs and I'll have fertile eggs when one of my hens is ready to sit.

Oh that's another good question. I've thought long and hard about this and I know I can't predict when my hens will be broody, so I did some research and decided that I can keep a fertile egg dormant for 7-14 days before incubating. So my plan is to collect 7ish eggs each (that I plan to hatch), and store them in the pantry, then continue first in first out (out to the fridge for consumption) until one of my hens goes broody. I'm afraid of incubating them, the thought kinda scares me. Anyway, is that a decent plan? That way I don't end up wasting eggs and I'll have fertile eggs when one of my hens is ready to sit.

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

Back
Top Bottom