Crossing white chinese gander with brown chinese goose will give me what?

Chicken Love

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
Canada
Hi! I have a white chinese gander and brown chinese goose mating and producing eggs. If I let them set, what will I end up with? Some browns and some whites or more like all pieds? I just want them for weeders, so I know I'm not keeping the breed pure by crossing them. Will the offspring be fertile or mules? Any info would be most helpful :)

You should get white females and brown splash or the more rare grey boys. You are not crossbreeding.... you are mixing colors within the same breed and, of course, the babies will be purebred Chinese.... and very fertile.

Yes this mating will produce sex-linked goslings as you're dealing with sex linked genes - Dilution and Pied.

Males will be Dilute Grey Splash (with variation in the amount of splash pattern) and females will be White.

Hi! It's been awhile since I've been on here. I don't have any recent pics. I need to get some. I have two goslings that I raised this year that are my pride and joys lol they are tufted Roman x brown Chinese and are full siblings. A true saddleback female and a pied/splash male, I'm 99% sure on the genders. I will know for sure when breeding season starts.

Hello everyone, this seems to be an older post and I’m not if anyone will see my question. I have a brown Chinese gander with one white Chinese goose and one white tufted Roman goose. I see that he has bred the tufted Roman more often than the white Chinese. I have taken some of the eggs and put them in an incubator to hatch them. My first question, is there a way to determine sex of the gosling? Second, I read in this thread that there will be different color variations. Can these be determined after hatching out or do they have to start feathering out? I wish that there were some photos posted of your adventures with goslings. These are my very first three geese and I’m still trying to learn about them. Thanks.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread you may get your answers. Especially with crossing the 2 Chinese.

Let us know how the incubation goes and hoping for lots of pics too.
Hello Miss Lydia, thank you for the response. I read through this thread and I’m wondering if the goslings will hatch the same no matter is the gander is white or brown. My gander is brown and the gander mentioned at the beginning is listed as being white. I have someone who is looking to purchase the goslings once they hatch and I’m hoping to give them accurate info on possible sex. Thanks again. I will post pictures once they hatch out.

Last edited:
Ok great I just purchased hatching eggs the Chinese gander is brown and the goose white what will the color variation be then will I be able to tell the sex by color.
These goslings are not sex linked. I crossed a white gander with a brown female and all the goslings were a mix of the two. Mostly resembling a brown Chinese but with white markings and lighter brown color. Gander and goose look the same.

Back
Top Bottom