Crumbles or pellets, which is better for ducks and geese?

Last Train Vnyd

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Southern Ohio
I have been feeding my new adult ducks all poultry layer crumbles by Dumor, but I have noticed that much of it turns to powder way before they are finished and that the male in particular seems to need to clear his throat a lot while eating. This leads me to question if there is something better for them such as pellets? Your feedback is much appreciated.

i would feed pellets as i have done

crumble and mash is really given to slow down eating

it keeps the bird occupied longer so they don't get aggressive or peck others as they too busy eating
and also slow down fattening to a more natural pace as they eat less in the same amount of time

and as you say its too powdery for ducks

switch to pellets if your not worried about the above mentions reasons for using crumbles

Pellet is definitely better! the way ducks eat, which is shovel the food a pellet is much easier to eat with the obvious exception of the very young, by about 4wks a pellet is usually okay.

I wouldn't recommend a layer though not with drakes it's excessive calcium for them and can cause health issues. Instead i use the free choice oyster shell and an all flock and/or duck grower.
smile.png

Pellet is definitely better! the way ducks eat, which is shovel the food a pellet is much easier to eat with the obvious exception of the very young, by about 4wks a pellet is usually okay.

I wouldn't recommend a layer though not with drakes it's excessive calcium for them and can cause health issues. Instead i use the free choice oyster shell and an all flock and/or duck grower.
smile.png

wasn't aware layers had calcium in it in USA

in UK layers don't have calcium in it

only yellow pigment is the difference to give the yolk a better yellow

that's why we use free choice oyster shell as well as layers

wasn't aware layers had calcium in it in USA

in UK layers don't have calcium in it

only yellow pigment is the difference to give the yolk a better yellow

that's why we use free choice oyster shell as well as layers

Oh i see, well actually I'm Canadian and our layers all have added calcium too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom