Crusty Vent , Help!

kengboss21

Chirping
Oct 10, 2023
NYC
I have a 20-26 wk old Hen and i checked her vent today and there was a lot of yellow crust around it. How to treat? And could this be because of other problems such as worms/mites. She eats and walks around fine, just don’t want this to get worst.

Attachments

• 8DCCC315-1155-4D48-978B-90D6DEC1B6FF.jpeg
    8DCCC315-1155-4D48-978B-90D6DEC1B6FF.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 76
  • EEC65C51-E7B5-4D3B-A861-22CE123736B5.jpeg
    EEC65C51-E7B5-4D3B-A861-22CE123736B5.jpeg
    842.3 KB · Views: 16
  • F9BF497E-0F04-4F5C-9D33-A291B94EB065.jpeg
    F9BF497E-0F04-4F5C-9D33-A291B94EB065.jpeg
    652.6 KB · Views: 16
Not positive but that last picture looks like eggs on her feathers. It could be lice and the crusty stuff is lice eggs. I'd put her in an warm Epsom salt bath and soak her to try get the most off her. If she's got them, your other ones probably do too so you'll need to treat all of them.

You could use permethrin dust for each chicken as that'll kill them, or it comes in liquid to make into a spray. You'll need to clean out your coop and treat that too especially the nest boxes. I've heard Ivermectin works for lice too, and we actually use that for scaly leg mites.

Repeat whatever you use in a week as they have a life cycle you have to completely kill or they'll be right back again. Keep checking and repeat again if necessary.

I'd give them vitamin water too as mites and lice are rough on their immune systems.

thank you for the reply. She’s the only one out of my flock of 6 who has this, I’ve checked them everyday. I will use the dust in the boxes and their roosts, I will also add vitamin to their water. I gave her a bath with some soap and got most of the gunk off her vent, I will check her in a few days. Thanks again

Not positive but that last picture looks like eggs on her feathers. It could be lice and the crusty stuff is lice eggs. I'd put her in an warm Epsom salt bath and soak her to try get the most off her. If she's got them, your other ones probably do too so you'll need to treat all of them.

You could use permethrin dust for each chicken as that'll kill them, or it comes in liquid to make into a spray. You'll need to clean out your coop and treat that too especially the nest boxes. I've heard Ivermectin works for lice too, and we actually use that for scaly leg mites.

Repeat whatever you use in a week as they have a life cycle you have to completely kill or they'll be right back again. Keep checking and repeat again if necessary.

I'd give them vitamin water too as mites and lice are rough on their immune systems.
Just checked and 4/6 have mites near their vent, they look round and white/opaque. Not sure what type of mites or if it’s lice. Proceed with Permethrin Dust? or will they come back

Do you see them moving around near the vent and under the belly? Permethrin dust or permethrin spray will treat lice or mites on chickens. Lice should be treated again after 10 days, but mites should be treated after 7, to get the eggs as they hatch before they can reproduce. Bedding should be emptied from nests and the coop and removed far away. Then spray the coop with permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water 1 tsp per quart of water. Here are some good links to read with pictures of what to look for:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

https://cpif.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/LIce-and-Mites-copy-3.pdf

Do you see them moving around near the vent and under the belly? Permethrin dust or permethrin spray will treat lice or mites on chickens. Lice should be treated again after 10 days, but mites should be treated after 7, to get the eggs as they hatch before they can reproduce. Bedding should be emptied from nests and the coop and removed far away. Then spray the coop with permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water 1 tsp per quart of water. Here are some good links to read with pictures of what to look for:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

https://cpif.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/LIce-and-Mites-copy-3.pdf
Yes under the vent at the base of the feathers. I have permetthrin powder. So dust them now, repeat in 7 days. Clean out the coop now as well replace all bedding and apply dust into cracks and crevices replace with fresh bedding?

I prefer the permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water (1 tsp per quart) to spray the coop. You can use a spray bottle or a garden sprayer, and the spray lasts 30 days. TSC sells a small bottle that mixes with water to make a
many gallons, and lasts awhile on the shelf. The dust is better for treating the chickens in cold weather. Use a soak to dust them. If using the spray, 15 ml or 1/2 ounce will treat each chicken.

Back
Top Bottom